Gameday Tigers

[NCG] anyone watching?

Eq4bits

I watched the last 5 min of the first half.  I like what I see.  The freshman QB for Clemson is amazing.  Wish LSU had Etienne this year.  How'd we let him get away?

As always, it goes to show, you have to have a top QB and passing attack to beat InbredGumps.

For those who think we are close to InbredGumps talent wise, look what it took to beat them.  We don't have a receiver as good as their Ross (true frosh), nor a QB as good as Lawrence (true frosh).  We don't have a back as good as Etienne.  Our o-line was not able to protect as good as the Clemson o-line, Lawrence had time to throw.  And the Clemson D got pressure on Tua with a 4 man rush, and that is why Tua was less effective, he didn't have the time to throw accurately.  And I was impressed with Brent Venables ability to disguise his defense and make Tua read it incorrectly.

Regarding Lawrence:

Trevor Lawrence (born October 6, 1999) is a collegiate American football quarterback for the Clemson Tigers. Lawrence was one of the most highly rated quarterback recruits ever, with multiple recruiting experts calling him a "once in a generation" type of player.[2][3]

Lawrence attended Cartersville High School in Cartersville, Georgia. As a junior in 2016, he was The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Player of the Year after completing 250 of 406 passes for 3,904 yards and 51 touchdowns.[4] As a sophomore, he passed for 3,655 yards and 43 touchdowns and as a freshman had 3,042 yards and 26 touchdowns. In 2017, Lawrence broke the Georgia state record for passing yards and passing touchdowns, which were previously owned by Deshaun Watson, who also played for the Clemson Tigers.[5][6]

Lawrence was a five-star recruit and ranked as the number one overall recruit in his class by Rivals.com, Scout.com and 247Sports.com. Lawrence was only the fifth player since 2002 to be the consensus No. 1 prospect, along with Jadeveon Clowney, Vince Young, Ernie Sims and Robert Nkemdiche. Lawrence went wire-to-wire as the No. 1 overall player in the Rivals.com Top100, also the first since Clowney and Nkemdiche.[7][8]

Lawrence is regarded as the best quarterback prospect ever by Mike Farrell of Rivals, who said the following:

He’s the most special quarterback prospect I’ve seen in all my years at Rivals. Josh Rosen used to hold that title until Lawrence came along but I’ve never seen someone with his combination of size, arm strength, accuracy, field vision, mobility and all the intangibles needed to be great.

There have been some amazing talents I’ve seen at Rivals over the years with different skill sets from Vince Young to Matthew Stafford and more, including Rosen, but Lawrence is a different category. Every time I see him, he reminds me of Peyton Manning, except he’s more athletic with a better arm. I know that’s heady and ridiculous stuff, and people who know me know I don’t say stuff like that often, but this kid is special. The comparisons are accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Lawrence_(American_football)

The worst play call of the night had to be Saban calling the fake field goal on 4th and 6, and trying a run up the middle.  Les made a call like that one game, I didn't like the call then, and it worked just as bad last night.  Saban said after the game it was a bad play call, on him.

5 hours ago, houtiger said:

For those who think we are close to InbredGumps talent wise, look what it took to beat them.  We don't have a receiver as good as their Ross (true frosh), nor a QB as good as Lawrence (true frosh).  We don't have a back as good as Etienne.  Our o-line was not able to protect as good as the Clemson o-line, Lawrence had time to throw.  And the Clemson D got pressure on Tua with a 4 man rush, and that is why Tua was less effective, he didn't have the time to throw accurately.  And I was impressed with Brent Venables ability to disguise his defense and make Tua read it incorrectly.

Regarding Lawrence:

Chase and Marshall  Are both as talented as number 8. For that matter, Jefferson is as well. If you think a receiver is why we can't beat Alabama, I don't know what to say to you.

All this game did is prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that scheme is our biggest issue. Our offensive line is also just as talented as Clemson's.   But that's another story. Here's the part that is irrefutable. Clemson isn't on the same planet with Alabama talent wise. But their scheme, allowing the quarterback to get rid of the ball early with multiple wide receivers in quick routes, is why they demolished Alabama. 

But it doesn't matter what you and I think. If the powers that be aren't smart enough to watch what unfolded tonight and know what needs to be done, then we will continue playing for 2nd or 3rd place in the sec West.

Regarding running backs, we had Leonard & Guice at the same time! Don't tell me neither of them were as good as Travis. Yet we couldn't do squat. 

A true frosh QB.  Yes, he is extremely talented. But he is put in a position to succeed unlike anybody we have had the past decade. THAT is the difference. 

I was reading about Trevor Lawrence, the kid started all four years at QB in high school.  Just like at Clemson, when he was a freshman in high school, he played a little the first few games, but you could see he was making plays the more experienced starter could not make.  The the coaches decided that had to make Lawrence the starter.  The QB Lawrence beat out in high school now plays tight end for the Crimson Tide.  But when they talk about his poise, as a freshman in college, he has a LOT of experience as a starter.

Archived