Gameday Tigers

Re-Recruiting the Unrecruited

Herb

Haha, well his topic title implies guys LEAVING, so I started one about guys STAYING.  I'm trying to reduce negativity in my life, so I had previously avoided his thread because of the negative connotation implied in the title. 

(I'm messing with you, Dad)

But it really is two separate topics.  One is about SRs and the JRs that leave.  Mine's about the JRs being re-recruited to stay and win together.  

Monday night Jan. 14 at midnight is the deadline for juniors to declare for the draft.  We will know about Devin White and Kristian Fulton soon.

Rashard choosing to stay is very big for the d-line.

If I'm a betting man, with Devin projected early first round, I would bet he declares for the draft.  He's not going to improve his draft position by staying.  The attraction would be to complete his degree and have a shot to play for a championship.

InbredGumps has a little problem keeping a few players. 

On Friday, Alabama lost DL Quinnen Williams, OL Jonah Williams, RB Josh Jacobs and TE Irv Smith Jr. to the NFL Draft, and on Saturday, they lost another key player.

DB Saivion Smith — a big part of the Alabama secondary — announced that he was forgoing his senior season and entering the draft. 

Kristian Fulton announces NFL Draft decision

BySONNY SHIPP 31 minutes ago 

9 Comments

(Photo: Matthew Emmons, USA TODAY Sports)

More good news regarding the 2019 NFL Draft flowed LSU’s way on Saturday when starting cornerback Kristian Fultonannounced he had some unfinished business in Baton Rouge.

Sources tell Geaux247 several NFL teams had the 6-foot, 192-pound junior as high as a potential first or second round draft pick. However, the allure of a college degree plus the opportunity to play for a championship on what will be a deep and talented LSU squad in 2019 pulled the former five-star prospect back to school.

After missing his sophomore season and playing in just three games as a true freshman in 2016, Fulton emerged as one of the top cornerbacks in the SEC. He started and played in 10 games before a lower leg injury against Arkansas that required surgery ended his season.

Playing opposite of Greedy Williams, Fulton picked off one pass and broke up nine others. With Williams foregoing his last two years of eligibility to enter the draft, Fulton gives the Tigers an experienced corner to mentor 247Sports’ No. 1 cornerback in the country Derek Stingley, who signed with LSU in December and enrolled in classes in January.

Ranked the No. 3 cornerback and No. 22 prospect overall in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite’s ’16 class, the Archbishop Rummel product made national headlines when the NCAA handed down a two-year suspension for tampering with a urine test that was eventually reduced to just one year shortly before LSU opened the 2018 campaign. 

As a result, Fulton took the field against Miami in the season opener and never relinquished his hold on the starting spot. 

At the time this article was published on Friday, LSU got good news from defensive prospects  Breiden Fehoko, Rashard Lawrence and outside linebacker Michael Divinity – along with Fulton.

Butkus Award winner and All-America linebacker Devin White had still not announced his intentions though that could come at any time with Jan. 15 the deadline for college players who are underclassmen to enter the draft.

Part-time starting nose tackle Ed Alexander had previously announced his intentions of entering the draft after knee problems plagued him since him high school.

LSU finished 2018 ranked No. 7 in the country in the AP Top 25 Poll, marking the program’s highest-ranked finish since 2011. The Tigers ended UCF’s 25-game win streak with a 40-32 victory in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl with a depleted defense.

Defensive coordinator Dave Aranda’s unit finished No. 25 in the country in total yards allowed at 338.7 a game and 26th in scoring at 21.8 points a contest. 

With as many as eight starters back, nine if White returns, the Tigers should be a force to be reckoned with on that side of the ball. The defense will complement an LSU offense that also returns eight starters and will make the Tigers a likely preseason top-10 pick in many of the publications and polls.

5 hours ago, LSUDad said:

DB Saivion Smith — a big part of the Alabama secondary — announced that he was forgoing his senior season and entering the draft. 

Y'all know he faked his injury the other night, right? 

Dude wasn't going to play next year anyway at Alabama. Sure, he'll likely take a pay cut, but it's best he go on and leave Tuscaloosa lol

Damien Lewis makes NFL Draft decision

ByBILLY EMBODY 68 minutes ago 

LSU offensive lineman Damien Lewisannounced on Twitter on Monday that he's returning to the Tigers for his senior season with the program. The former junior college standout played in all 13 games at right guard for LSU, starting every game for the Tigers.

"For everyone that keeps asking," Lewis wrote in the tweet, "Yes I am returning to LSU for 2019 season #GeauxTigers"

According to the 247Sports Composite, Lewis ranked as a three-star prospect, theNo. 61 overall junior college prospect and the No. 2 offensive guard in the country.

The 6-3, 322-pound lineman is originally from Canton, Miss. and played junior college ball at Northwest Mississippi Community College. Lewis signed with LSU over offers from Kentucky, Ole Piss, South Carolina, West Virginia and others.

Prior to the season, Lewis said in the spring that he was willing to help wherever along the offensive line. When Ed Ingram was suspended and missed the 2018 season, that opened the door for Lewis to step in at right guard and start.

"I can compete at any position that needs help," Lewis said. "I just want to come and get a starting job. It could be center or guard. We have a good group of offensive lineman. Everyone will compete to see who will get the starting job."

Dating back to his high school days, Lewis hasn't missed much time, starting 22 games in junior college before starting all 13 games this season for the Tigers.

For the 2018 season, Lewis and center Lloyd Cushenberry were named the team's most outstanding offensive linemen. Lewis was also recognized as one of the team's recipients of the Butch Duhe Award, which is for the player whose character and contributions to the LSU Football team most personify the idea of unselfishness, dependability and commitment to the team.

At the time this article was published on Monday, LSU got good news from defensive prospects Breiden FehokoRashard Lawrence and outside linebackerMichael Divinity and cornerback Kristian Fulton, who all announced returns to the program.

Butkus Award winner and All-America linebacker Devin White announced his intentions on Monday to enter the 2019 NFL Draft. Part-time starting nose tackleEd Alexander had previously announced his intentions of entering the draft after knee problems plagued him since him high school. Cornerback Greedy Williamsannounced his intentions to go pro ahead of LSU's Fiesta Bowl appearance and did not participate in the win.

7COMMENTS

LSU finished 2018 ranked No. 6 in the country in the AP Top 25 Poll, marking the program’s highest-ranked finish since 2011. The Tigers ended UCF’s 25-game win streak with a 40-32 victory in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl with a depleted defense.

Stick with Geaux247 for the latest on LSU football as the staff now turns its attention to rounding out the 2019 recruiting class.

Archived