Gameday Tigers

Official Early Signing Day Thread Class of 2023

Fishhead

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

I wonder why Malachi never made it in the NFL.  He was pretty good for us, wasn't he?

He came from John Curtis, a mostly run school, wasnt really a great WR, has flashes. Many services had him the #1 WR in the Nation. He never really worked on his skill. I told folks I thought he would be short lived in the NFL. 

I said much of the same with Johnny Football, he never beat LSU, we kept him in the pocket, in the NFL, you have to be able to throw from the pocket. 

I’ll make a call and talk to someone on the 5for 5 guys. 

LSU was named one of the winners from national signing day by On3.

Much like Texas, nearly all of LSU’s work was done prior to Wednesday. But Brian Kelly and Co. finished strong by holding off a late charge from Auburn for offensive lineman DJ Chester and beat out Texas to flip four-star tight end Ka’Morreun Pimpton from Vanderbilt.

The Tigers still have a few names left to keep an eye on between now and February, with five-star cornerback Desmond Ricks announcing tomorrow and five-star athlete Nyckoles Harbor set to go in January.

LSU entered the day needed to address depth issues at tight end, at the defensive line, and in the secondary. The Tigers signed three tight ends (Markway, McGohan, and Pimpton) three defensive linemen (Womack, Howard, and Carpenter), and six defensive backs (Toviano, Jackson, Yaites, Daugherty, Hughes, and Stamps).

Plus they added four offensive linemen (Mubenga, Adams, Chester, and Heard) to help that group as well. I’d say it was a great day to be a fan of LSU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

What is the Jojo Lafells?

drop the easy passes, but somehow make the hard ones. 

30 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I think he means "drops".  Brandon had that problem until he got his eyes fixed, glasses or contacts.  He improved a lot when he could see the ball coming.

Dwayne Bowe was the one who got his eyes fixed. 

Jojo was a concentration issue that he found a way to sort out. 

3 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Jamal was who we got outside the group. 

Fournette, Noil, Tony Brown,  Gerald Williams, and I don't remember who else. 

Which is funny because we got whoever the other was. 

The three we didn't get flaked out completely

Alabama's Hootie Jones and Cam Robinson avoid gun, drug charges in Monroe. 

Bingo, got to thinking, ran Hooties name up with one of the older recruiting guys. 

Fish does this one look right? 

Edited by LSUDad

This isn’t finished, far from it.  
The portal is still wide open. We go through Spring, roster will change again.  
Kelly wants to stay heavy in the state, but as with anything, you have to go outside.  

A college coach I know, once told me,”You better learn to read kids early in this profession!” 
Most times a assistant or Head Coach will know if a kid is coming. Kelly and staff knew who was coming. You see a kid flip, Kelly had another step up and commit. He’s been one step ahead.  

How can anyone doubt, he took a roster, completely rebuilt it, beat the little short guy, won the West, a shot at a 10 win season.  
If you don’t think Kelly can pull a Gordon (Get It Done!), you haven’t followed how he’s rebuilt programs at each stop.

3 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Alabama's Hootie Jones and Cam Robinson avoid gun, drug charges in Monroe. 

Bingo, got to thinking, ran Hooties name up with one of the older recruiting guys. 

Fish does this one look right? 

Yep it was Hootie, because Malachi had already committed

40 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

1. Perkins
2. Campbell

Taylor should've been a 4*

Taylor and maybe Jones, for Jones to come in without a Spring. Start on the OL at tackle, that’s a very tough position to start, coming in straight from high school. Taylor was not the same player at the beginning of the year, as to what he is now. 

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Taylor and maybe Jones, for Jones to come in without a Spring. Start on the OL at tackle, that’s a very tough position to start, coming in straight from high school. Taylor was not the same player at the beginning of the year, as to what he is now. 

Agree, that's why I say 4*

He was 3* at beginning but definitely improved as season went on

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fishhead said:

1. Perkins
2. Campbell

Taylor should've been a 4*

From this year, I think Dashawn Womack (arguably) should have been rated a 5*. He was the MaxPreps High School Player of the Year.  Had he signed with Alabama I'm guessing they would have classified him as 5*.

Looking at CB depth, it'll be interesting to see if Ryan Yates might get a look at CB in addition to safety. He's more on the end of the S/CB hybrid scale than he is on the S/LB hybrid scale.  He also played both CB and Safety in high school.

https://www.on3.com/db/ryan-yaites-103927/scouting/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herb said:

From this year, I think Dashawn Womack (arguably) should have been rated a 5*. He was the MaxPreps High School Player of the Year.  Had he signed with Alabama I'm guessing they would have classified him as 5*.

Looking at CB depth, it'll be interesting to see if Ryan Yates might get a look at CB in addition to safety. He's more on the end of the S/CB hybrid scale than he is on the S/LB hybrid scale.  He also played both CB and Safety in high school.

https://www.on3.com/db/ryan-yaites-103927/scouting/

247 does have Womack as a 5* - he was the one Fish and I were talking about and I originally saw his composite which said 4*

• Like 2

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

I just looked at the Gumps class.  They signed 7 five-star players, nearly a quarter of the top 30 kids in the nation.  They signed the #1 OT and DT.  They took one three-star, a kicker, everyone else was a four-star.  Ranked the #1 class in the nation.

Between Gumps and uga, those two should never lose a game. Hard to believe, uga has one 3 NC in the entire existence of the school. We’ve won 3 since 2003. 

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I just looked at the Gumps class.  They signed 7 five-star players, nearly a quarter of the top 30 kids in the nation.  They signed the #1 OT and DT.  They took one three-star, a kicker, everyone else was a four-star.  Ranked the #1 class in the nation.

They'll sign an 8th soon

From On3.

7. LSU (92.806)
1 five-star | 17 four-stars | 7 three-stars | 25 total recruits
Top Commit: Monroe (La.) Neville offensive tackle Zalance Heard, No. 24 in On3 Consensus
Summary: The Tigers’ success on the recruiting trail starts on their home turf. LSU has signed some of the top players in the Pelican State including Heard, four-star wide receiver Shelton Sampson Jr., four-star running back Kaleb Jackson and four-star safety Kylin Jackson. Of the top 16 players in Louisiana, eight of them are committed to the Tigers. Brian Kelly has also made a mark out-of-state. On Dec. 15, he landed a commitment from four-star safety Javien Toviano, the No. 54 overall prospect in the On3 Consensus and a Texas native. He also pulled EDGE Dashawn Womack, an On3 five-star, out of Maryland.