Gameday Tigers

THE NSD 2019 THREAD

Fishhead

41 minutes ago, Herb said:

I got really excited when I saw this headline on the Advocate (which is still up), but unfortunately the online editor just isn't doing their job:

image.png.abfb8205fe3d48ed13fc91a9c300adea.png

(He actually signed with Georgia and not LSU.)

He's also got like a 1.7 GPA 

4 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I don't really care about the stars, Dad.  I'm more concerned with what O said was the most pressing issue, and especially with it being his forte...DL.  I don't like seeing InbredGumps taking EIGHT DL, all elite, while LSU is struggling to get 4...when we need more DL than they do.  It's like Bear Bryant is at InbredGumps again taking guys just to keep them away from his competition. 

The Bear Bryant Rule was not into effect during that time.

9 hours ago, Fishhead said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Rankings as they stand real time.  It's silly to be laughing at InbredGumps right now lol

I was at Magic Kingdom today. Got an alert from The Score app that said “Alabama loses second recruit on NSD”. Didn’t realize we had to contend with fake news on Sports news :classic_ohmy:

30 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I was at Magic Kingdom today. Got an alert from The Score app that said “Alabama loses second recruit on NSD”. Didn’t realize we had to contend with fake news on Sports news :classic_ohmy:

Well technically they did lose Christian Williams.  Williams has been committed to them forever, but when he didn't sign on early NSD, it was very well known he wouldn't be signed by InbredGumps.  Make matters worse, it was almost a certainty he would actually sign with LSU.  Then a couple days ago out of the blue, he contacted the LSU staff to say he's "torn" between LSU and Miami.  Miami, new coach Manny Diaz, was telling him he can play CB for them and start ASAP.  And they're right.  LSU had him as a safety because that's what he is.  He wanted to play CB and play early instead of Safety sitting behind guys like Grant Delpit, the best Safety in the country.  

So yeah, LSU lost a recruit.  But really, LSU lost a recruit.  Not a big deal, but certainly not to InbredGumps either as it was well known he wasn't going to sign with them today.  We get Stingley, regarded by some as the highest rated recruit ever...period...and Miami gets a guy that would've redshirted for us. 

Meanwhile, InbredGumps signs one of the highest rated classes in history, if not the highest.  24 ESPN Top 300 players.  We signed 12 Top 300 guys in a very good class. 

5 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I don't really care about the stars, Dad.  I'm more concerned with what O said was the most pressing issue, and especially with it being his forte...DL.  I don't like seeing InbredGumps taking EIGHT DL, all elite, while LSU is struggling to get 4...when we need more DL than they do.  It's like Bear Bryant is at InbredGumps again taking guys just to keep them away from his competition. 

A little more on this guy. Show him multi-sport...  

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Tigers-football-recruiting-commitment-Desmond-Little-Vigor-High-National-Signing-Day-128793396/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190206_144053_LSU Tigers&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=7F-C6-DF-2E-A1-6C-AA-15-52-76-06-85-14-D4-16-6D190206_144053LSUTigers

2 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Yep, O said he's a BBall player (6'6" 220, so why not), and he's a track guy that runs a 23 second 200 meters and broad jumps well over 12 feet.  No doubt a talented kid.  Needs a little more weight and he has time to get it 

I've seen Sopsher get pushed around by Country Day. He's lazy at times. Every recruiting service said that. That's a coaching/motivation issue. 

Wasn't necessarily wanting Sopsher, just elite DL and he was one in state. Gotta start getting them. 

8 hours ago, Fishhead said:

We gotta start landing the #1 DL & OL on our own board. So far we've lost out to chicken (Marvin Wilson) and whatever Sopsher got,  probably a Dodge Charger in the Hellcat package. 

I heard O say a couple of times yesterday "We did it the right way, and we are proud of our class".  He's obviously insinuating that "someone" is not doing it the right way.  InbredGumps?  It's one thing for us fans to say something off the top of our heads, but O is up close and personal to the situations, I wonder what he knows?

15 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Agreed, DL is the biggest concern.  With Rashard Lawrence and Fehoko returning, and Tyler Shelvin coming on, and I think we have enough depth to take care of things in the 2019 season.  After Lawrence and Fehoko leave, the concern goes to the 2020 season.  I hear the class for DL in La. is very good and deep next year, but we don't want to be sending freshmen out to play InbredGumps.  Even if we clean up next year, we will still have an experience gap.  Are there some o-line guys that we moved from d-line this year that could move back to d-line?

We had some makeup to do at cornerback, needed some numbers, and I think we covered that.  Got a good QB, need one per year, glad we covered that.  Got 2 very good RB, that was a huge area of need.  I'm still waiting to see what Chris Curry brings, he redshirted last year.

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I've seen Sopsher get pushed around by Country Day. He's lazy at times. Every recruiting service said that. That's a coaching/motivation issue. 

Wasn't necessarily wanting Sopsher, just elite DL and he was one in state. Gotta start getting them. 

I was also looking at Devonta Lee, in that film. At 6’2” 212#. He looks like a great Safety. I know some talk he wants to start on the offensive side of the ball. But Safety is a spot he could excell at. 

A couple writeups on two LSU players by 247...

John Emery Jr., LSU
247Sports Composite Rank: No. 13

247Sports' top running back this cycle, Emery is a special combination of traits. He combines elite testing numbers (4.42 40-yard dash, 38-inch vertical), with a powerful frame (5-foot-11, 206 pounds) and a suddenness in space that you can't teach. More importantly, he fits a need for LSU. The Tigers' 2018 offense lacked a true impact runner. Nick Brossette and Clyde Edwards-Helaire were fine. But they combined to average 4.4 yards per carry, failing to provide LSU a big-play element it featured in previous years with Leonard Fournette and Derrius Guice. That won't be a problem with Emery Jr., one of the most explosive high school rushers the last half decade. Edwards-Helaire is back next year and will get his share of carries. Just don't expect it to be a starter's share. Emery Jr. could well be in the running for True Freshman of the Year in December if he can stay healthy. 

Derek Stingley, LSU
247Sports Composite Rank: No. 3

It’s going to be hard to keep Stingley out of the starting lineup. The top-rated corner prospect in 247Sports history, Stingley is a dangerous combination of elite athleticism (4.3 40-yard dash, 42-inch vertical jump), ideal size (6-foot-1) and playmaking ability (11 INTs as a junior). Mix all that together and you have a future first round pick. Stingley is one of the safest prospects in the 2019 class, and the early enrollee will show it at LSU as a freshman. Go ahead and pencil Stingley in as LSU’s 2019 starting boundary corner opposite Kristian Fulton. He’s that good.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/high_schools/article_e3029f78-2a1f-11e9-931c-4772476edd56.html

Lee (6-2, 212) is listed as a four-star prospect and is ranked No. 10 in Louisiana and 166 nationally by 247sports. Lee said he meditated Tuesday night and told reporters he made his final decision at about 9 a.m. Wednesday, less than four hours before signing.

“It was great to meet coach Brady,” Lee said. “I felt like he had a plan for me. He was showing me pass patterns like the ones Michael Thomas runs (for the Saints). I like the four-receiver sets they plan to run.”

Lee showed a playful side. He reached for a Kentucky cap on the table, before reaching under the table to pull out an LSU cap and other LSU gear for relatives seated with him. Kentucky was the school that recruiting services said also was in the running to sign Lee.

Sopsher got a shout-out from University High’s Christian Harris, who signed with Alabama in December. Harris took part in a ceremony honoring all of UHS’ signees at the same time the Amite players signed. Friends funneled information to Harris about Sopsher’s signing.

"Everybody's telling me," Harris said. "That's crazy. We're going to have a lot of fun."

Lee said signing day ended the way it was supposed to for both of the Warriors’ high-profile players.

“(Sopsher) got the best fit for him,” Lee said. “That's a good program and they will develop him well. It’s the good fit for me. I’m going to go over there (to LSU) and do some tremendous things on offense and go over there and succeed.”

FOLLOW ROBIN FAMBROUGH ON

This was a very good class.  Eight out of the top 10 in La. is about as good as it usually gets.  We probably needed 1 more DT, but....

I'm looked at the LSU site, and Tommie Robinson is listed as the recruiting coordinator, and Mickey Joseph as wide receivers coach.  But I think O said that Joseph would focus on recruiting in La., since he had a lot of contacts in La.  Looks like that paid off as we got almost all the top talent.

The coaching staff and their work on recruiting paid off.  You never really know how a class turns out for a couple of years, but based on paper, this one looks good.  We pulled more 5* recruits than we normally do.

Archived