Gameday Tigers

Recruiting: Why? (Bear Bryant Rule v2)

Fishhead

Bear Bryant was infamous for taking guys just to keep other teams from getting him.  He would take tons of guys whether he needed them or not.  Thus, the "Bear Bryant Rule" came into effect, with scholly limitations so you couldn't just take a kid to keep him from another team. 

Fast forward to today, last NSD, I could go on and on. 

Saban does the same thing, but is really good at making the numbers work.  Saban is famous for "the process".  He loves to use that word to describe his method of coaching.  He doesn't care about what the other team is doing as much as he does what HIS team is doing.  Follow the PROCESS and we'll succeed.  And he's damn good at it. His players buy in to his "process" and become machine like as a team.  It's maddening. 

But here's what he does in recruiting.  

Obviously he gets who he wants/needs for HIS team.  He's absolutely a great, the best, evaluator of talent, and he's the best recruiter in the business.  Many are close, but none are him. 

But what he does that resembles the "Bear Bryant Rule" is he takes who he knows his competition needs when he can.  Speaking of process, he creates room by "processing" guys he's recruited that aren't panning out quite like he anticipated...he gets rid of them.  
Let's just look at the last two recruiting cycles.  

Saban has flat out said LSU is his toughest game of the year, the one they circle on the schedule.  He knows we have the athletes to compete with them.  Or, we DID.  So he began, in my opinion, taking players he knows LSU needed to stay with his machine.  If you recall, last cycle, LSU desperately needed CBs.  Fulton was still suspended and expected to be unavailable for the season.  Greedy was back, and was the best in the country most likely.  But the early departure of Kevin Tolliver and losing others, we had ZERO depth and nobody opposite Greedy.  But...hey, we're getting Surtain, right?  No problem!  Until, signing day.  I mean, it was a known fact he was all LSU, he and his dad had a GREAT relationship with Corey Raymond.  But Saban knew we needed him that badly, and he went and got him.  I mean, Surtain is great, but Saban didn't "need" him per se.  But LSU did.  So he got him. 

This year, LSU is in DESPERATE need of DL.  And there's elite DL to be had.  Ed Orgeron is a recruiting master AND DL coach.  Surely we'll get what we need.  Meanwhile, InbredGumps is loaded on the DL AND loaded up on DL in this recruiting class.  Meanwhile, Ish Sopsher is the best DL on our board, and he's a LA kid.  Cool, we need him, he's a LA kid, and Saban DOESN'T need him. 

But he gets him anyway.  Why??  Simple.  Because we need him.  He would help us compete against Alabama in the trenches...where Saban...AND Orgeron...know LSU needs to help in order to hang with InbredGumps.  It's the very difference in the two teams.  Depth and talent in the trenches. 

So watching Devonte Lee and Ish Sopsher make their announcements, both friends and high school teammates so they're announcing together, I saw this.  
Lee was happy, smiling, his family the same, and he announces he'll be "taking his talents" to the "University of LSU".  Nice moment and great get for the good guys. 

Sopsher follows.  I watched him struggle through the announcement, reading a pre-made script with excuses that were never really named but hidden with his words.  Almost apologetic, never smiling, and I swear I saw a tear come from his left eye during this extremely awkward moment.  He picked InbredGumps.  And seemed miserable throughout the whole announcement.  His dad constantly patting his shoulders in support as if comforting him, telling him it's gonna be OK...just do it.

I don't claim to know any details or have any smoking gun.  There's rumors of "The Barber" in Amite, but there's also rumors that LA governor John Bel Edwards (also from Amite) is involving himself in recruiting FOR LSU.   So if you lend credence to one, can you objectively ignore the other?  So I choose to say I dunno what's going on. 

But if you expect me to believe there's NO funny business going on you've got another thing coming. Whatever game InbredGumps is playing in recruiting, we need to play it better!  I saw in Sopsher today a kid that made a "business decision", as they call it now.  Landon Collins started that term in recruiting.  Funny, huh?  A kid that was a slam dunk for LSU to get at a position of need?  All the sudden puts on those ugly friggin InbredGumps gloves?  Business decision.  

Either play the game or go Tennessee on them and get their asses on probation for the game THEY'RE playing!  Getting sick of this shyte, quite frankly.  It's the reason no matter what LSU recruiting experts said this cycle, I held fast that Sopsher wouldn't be a Tiger.  I was called a "defeatist" on this very board for my stance.  But it's time people wake up and realize what's going on here.  It's time LSU coaches/recruiters/boosters/whatever figure out a way to either stop it or do it better, dammit.  

Wake up people!

O's post NSD presser could've been titled "Doing it the right way".  He said it multiple times DIRECTLY in reference to InbredGumps getting Sopsher.  It was his only answer..."We're doing it the right way".  CLEARLY a shot at how InbredGumps is recruiting.  

I'm a little torn on this one.  

Like him or not (I do), I gotta call a spade a spade.  Given his history, O is in no position to talk about "doing it the right way", quite frankly.  Pot meet kettle lol.  It's the very reason many on this board were appalled at O even becoming DL coach a few years back.  Suddenly that was forgotten lol. 

Hey coach O, I agree with you InbredGumps isn't "doing it the right way".  But damn it sure works.  Let's "do it the winning way", por favor. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:39 PM, Fishhead said:

Watch it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sopsher definitely did not look happy.  Some folks are not real happy usually.   But you would think that an 18 year old who likes to play football, with a high ranking, and getting a full ride scholarship to a premier football school, he'd be smiling when he made that announcement.  I don't think I've seen less enthusiasm ever, for that situation.

28 minutes ago, Herb said:

But he gets free haircuts anytime he's back home.

I don't think it's haircuts he's been getting.  Did you see the video of him trying to put the visor on?  That boy ain't had a haircut in eons.  

I imagine he just gets a bag...or his folks do.

19 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I don't think it's haircuts he's been getting.  Did you see the video of him trying to put the visor on?  That boy ain't had a haircut in eons.  

I imagine he just gets a bag...or his folks do.

I think we should send Dr. Sam Nader to Amite to buy the barber a sandwich and build a relationship there!

Archived