Gameday Tigers

Coaching Changes 2023-2024 Football

LSUDad

Tubby LOL

While serving as Ole Miss coach back in 1998, speculation regarding Auburn’s interest in hiring Tuberville reached a point where the coach felt obligated to address the situation during his weekly radio show. That’s when he made his infamous statement.

“They’ll have to carry me out of here in a pine box,” Tuberville stated during one of his shows.

Despite his bold statement, he was off and gone to Auburn two days later

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/tommy-tuberville-ole-miss-pine-box-comments/

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

So this was a classless move

Tell your players you are 50/50 about a job offer then leave in the dark of night to head to the new job and your players wake up the next morning to find out you are halfway across the country at your new job you were "50/50" on.  Then you want to meet with them on Zoom.  I dont blame them for not meeting with them.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/mike-elko-has-informed-duke-he-is-taking-the-texas-am-head-coaching-job-221524412/

Who cares?  It's Texas A&M.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dachsie said:

Actually, it's the Duke players I feel bad for.  They were not treated right.

Did you feel for the Duke Lacrosse Team, that’s the ones that were really screwed? 

I understand what you’re saying, but that’s where we are now. I remember Bobby Petrino leaving a note on every players locker, after he left the Atlanta Falcons job. Folks keep hiring that POS. 

4 hours ago, dachsie said:

Actually, it's the Duke players I feel bad for.  They were not treated right.

Elko did it the way it is always done.  It's business.  A new team is going to pay you $60 million, they have the right to make a splash with the official announcement, first.

If he told his team first, then flew to CS to be announced, his players would have it all over X and ESPN in a heartbeat.  Then A&M, for all that money, does not get to "make it official", which is their splash. 

His first respect goes to his new employer who is shelling out $60 million, and the old players second.  I don't think anyone can name a situation that went any different.

The players that the coach is leaving behind feel jilted, hey that's life.  Get over it and get behind your new coach.  Coaches change jobs a lot, and this is the way it is done.

This is what Brian Kelly did:

"Brian Kelly shocked the college football world on Monday, taking the job at LSU after 12 years at Notre Dame. He stands to make over $10 million per year, with bonuses included, according to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger

On Tuesday, Kelly reportedly had a very brief meeting with Notre Dame players. ESPN's Adam Rittenberg reports that it lasted around 11 minutes, while Pete Sampson of The Athletic says that it was closer to two minutes and that he didn't stay to answer any questions about his abrupt departure. "

On 11/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, houtiger said:

Elko did it the way it is always done.  It's business.  A new team is going to pay you $60 million, they have the right to make a splash with the official announcement, first.

If he told his team first, 

according to reports, the last thing he told his team was that he hadn't made a decision yet.

then flew out during the night with intentions to tell them over zoom.

His first respect goes to his new employer who is shelling out $60 million, and the old players second.  I don't think anyone can name a situation that went any different.

most coaches tell their old teams face to face.

it's the right thing to do.

The players that the coach is leaving behind feel jilted, hey that's life.  Get over it and get behind your new coach.  Coaches change jobs a lot, and this is the way it is done.

leaving for a bigger school isn't the issue all players (especially at smaller schools) know that's always a possibility.

addressing the rumors (which already eliminates the "splash" you mention) but saying "I haven't decided" and then sneaking away while everyone is asleep is the ultimate sign of a lack of respect.

This is what Brian Kelly did:

On Tuesday, Kelly reportedly had a very brief meeting with Notre Dame players. 

was that meeting in person or over zoom?

if it was in person, then you already answered this question

I don't think anyone can name a situation that went any different.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

was that meeting in person or over zoom?

In person or on zoom doesn't make that much difference.  The point is, he was announced at LSU First, and then communicated with his old team second.  That is the way it is done.  In person or zoom, who cares?  Apparently Kelly's players at ND didn't care much if the meeting took 2 minutes or 11 minutes.

It's new team makes official announcement first, and communicate with former team players second.

46 minutes ago, houtiger said:

In person or on zoom doesn't make that much difference.  The point is, he was announced at LSU First, and then communicated with his old team second.  That is the way it is done.  In person or zoom, who cares?  Apparently Kelly's players at ND didn't care much if the meeting took 2 minutes or 11 minutes.

It's new team makes official announcement first, and communicate with former team players second.

The news that he was going to A&M was already out there when he told his players he had not decided.  I think that is a big difference from what you are saying

15 minutes ago, dachsie said:

The news that he was going to A&M was already out there when he told his players he had not decided.  I think that is a big difference from what you are saying

The story had leaked, but the details of the contract may not yet have been finalized and, therefore, not official.  The story was also out there that Bob Stoops was the guy until he wasn't the guy.

15 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Heck, Nick told the whole world he was not going to be the coach at Alabama.  He was on the plane to Alabama when he notified the dolphins owner he was taking the Gumps job.

The new team paying you the big bucks gets the opportunity to make the first official announcement.  The last thing they want is your former players leaking the hard info, "coach Elko told us he is take the Aggie job" on X.  That cannot happen.  If you ask him directly, he has no option but to dodge the truth, until it is time for the truth to be announced officially at his new job.  That's just the way it is.  That's why they want you on campus as soon as possible, to make the official announcement, then you can go back and clean up at your former place, however you choose to do that.  It has been done in person, via Zoom, and via email.

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

In person or on zoom doesn't make that much difference. 

did you propose to your wife in person or over the phone?
doesn't make that much of a difference.

did you mail her the ring or give it to her in person?
doesn't seem like a big difference there either.

The point is, he was announced at LSU First, and then communicated with his old team second.  That is the way it is done.  In person or zoom, who cares?  Apparently Kelly's players at ND didn't care much if the meeting took 2 minutes or 11 minutes.

it was all over the internet a full day before anything was "announced"

so if the new school things their first, then they really are as stupid as all the jokes we make about them.

vast majority of coaches speak to their current/former employer and team in person so they hear it from them. out of their mouths.
it's very very simple to have an agreed upon time for the new school to "announce" it.
hell, quite often you'll see a sentence in the article announcing the hiring where the coach asks to be able to address his old team before the new team makes an announcement.

that time is during the meeting with your players.

"by the time we get out of this meeting, it will be public knowledge, but I wanted you to hear it officially from me."

that's the way it's done by waaaaaaaaay more coaches than do it the way Elko did it.

they do it like that because it is the right and respectful thing to do for all parties involved.

which is why when people do it like that, or like Petrino leaving the Falcons, or like Saban leaving the Dolphins, it's news.
because it's a dick move.  everybody knows it's a dick move.

Just because your job is nationally televised and pays you millions of dollars doesn't mean you treat leaving it any different than you or I would treat leaving a job for a better opportunity.

and ESPN plasters it all over the place a full 24 hours before anything official is announced, so there is no big surprise or splash before the team says anything.

22 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

did you propose to your wife in person or over the phone?
doesn't make that much of a difference.

did you mail her the ring or give it to her in person?
doesn't seem like a big difference there either.

Your relationship with your prospective spouse is different than your relationship with the team you coach.

34 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

it was all over the internet a full day before anything was "announced"

so if the new school things their first, then they really are as stupid as all the jokes we make about them.

vast majority of coaches speak to their current/former employer and team in person so they hear it from them. out of their mouths.
it's very very simple to have an agreed upon time for the new school to "announce" it.
hell, quite often you'll see a sentence in the article announcing the hiring where the coach asks to be able to address his old team before the new team makes an announcement.

that time is during the meeting with your players.

"by the time we get out of this meeting, it will be public knowledge, but I wanted you to hear it officially from me."

that's the way it's done by waaaaaaaaay more coaches than do it the way Elko did it.

they do it like that because it is the right and respectful thing to do for all parties involved.

which is why when people do it like that, or like Petrino leaving the Falcons, or like Saban leaving the Dolphins, it's news.
because it's a dick move.  everybody knows it's a dick move.

Just because your job is nationally televised and pays you millions of dollars doesn't mean you treat leaving it any different than you or I would treat leaving a job for a better opportunity.

The new school always gets to make the official announcement first.  Deion Sanders with to Boulder the night before, was announced in the morning, went back to Jackson St. and told his team, which he was going to coach in one more game. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2022/12/04/deion-sanders-introduced-colorado-coach/10835418002/

A coach is a public figure, his job change is followed by the public, and it is different than when you or I change jobs, public vs. private.  That is what makes the notification process different, the press is involved and millions of people are interested and trying to find out the information, that you need to keep secret until it is time.  It's very different.

39 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

and ESPN plasters it all over the place a full 24 hours before anything official is announced, so there is no big surprise or splash before the team says anything.

It is a big deal because the press does not always get it right.  Was Lincoln Rilley coming to LSU, was Mike Stoops going to A&M.  There are a lot of bad rumors, and coaches can change there minds until it is official.  Was Tom Herman coming to LSU?  He was, until Texas up'ed the offer and he went there.  Nothing is official until the official announcement, that always comes first from the new team the coach is going to .

1 minute ago, houtiger said:

, went back to Jackson St. and told his team 

why didn't he do it over zoom?

because even Deion Sanders knows that's a dick move.

you ALWAYS tell your previous employer and team in person that you are leaving.
in person. face to face. like a man.

even if they did hear it on ESPN first.

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

why didn't he do it over zoom?

because even Deion Sanders knows that's a dick move.

you ALWAYS tell your previous employer and team in person that you are leaving.
in person. face to face. like a man.

even if they did hear it on ESPN first.

My point has been that you always get introduced at the new school or job first, officially, then notify your old team after the official announcement.

HOW you notify your old team is a matter of taste and preference of the coach.  There are poor ways and better ways.  I think Saban may have left the dolphins a recorded message, but they hated him anyway so nobody cared.

My point has been that you always get introduced at the new school or job first, officially, then notify your old team after the official announcement.

actually quite the opposite

the reason this is even being mentioned in the news is because the VAST MAJORITY of coaches address their old team before leaving. before being announced, and damn sure before being introduced.
It's when guys DON'T do it that you hear about it.

even Deion (whom you mention)
told his team in the locker room the same day it was announced, but before they would see the announcement. (gameday for the 2022 SWAC title game).

Brian Kelly apologized to his team finding out it was official before he could address them personally. Why would he apologize for that if them finding out like that was status quo?

Lincoln Riley met with and informed USC players the day before USC announced his official hiring.

Billy Napier insisted he not only be the one to tell his team, but be allowed to coach in their conference championship game.

Hugh Freeze informed Liberty and they already started prepping for a search before he even officially accepted the job at Auburn.

Mississippi State actually announced Dan Mullen was leaving for Florida before Florida even announced they were hiring him

FSU announced Jimbo resigned to accept the A&M job 3 days before A&M announced they hired him.

those are only some of the biggest names to change schools last few seasons.

telling your team in person, face to face, before they officially find out from the TV is and has always been the preferred exit model by coaches.

HOW you notify your old team is a matter of taste and preference of the coach.  There are poor ways and better ways.  I think Saban may have left the dolphins a recorded message, but they hated him anyway so nobody cared.

a guy widely regarded as one of the biggest assholes in the sport does bloviator things?

no freaking way!

The old team is always going to feel jilted when the HC leaves. Its human nature. Really no good way to get it done. Kelly met w/ his entire team in Cincinnati, some of the players, very upset, walked out on the meeting. Regardless of the timing and even if the team already knows the coach should man up and meet them face to face.  A coach owes that to young men who have fought like dogs for him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

even Deion (whom you mention)
told his team in the locker room the same day it was announced, but before they would see the announcement. (gameday for the 2022 SWAC title game).

I provided the link, Deion was officially announced in Co. that morning, then flew back and addressed his old team later in the day.  They would have already seen the announcement from Colorado, done in the AM.

17 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

Brian Kelly apologized to his team finding out it was official before he could address them personally. Why would he apologize for that if them finding out like that was status quo?

I don't know what he said in his 2 minute (or 11 minute) meeting.  He might apologize because that is the way that it must be done, and the old team gets notified second.  He might be apologizing for the system, and not that he personally did anything wrong.  He did what the coaching change system forces you to do.

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I provided the link, Deion was officially announced in Co. that morning, then flew back and addressed his old team later in the day.  They would have already seen the announcement from Colorado, done in the AM.

here is a video, not some guy reporting something, an actual video of Coach Prime telling his team his leaving.

he specifically states he is "addressing the rumors"
if he had officially been announced, they wouldn't be rumors, they would be confirmed facts.

he says "I want y'all to hear it from me"
had he been announced officially, they would have already heard it officially.

your article states he was announced on Campus on a Sunday after he finished a 12-0 season the night before.

this video happened right after their game on Saturday night.

Deion told his team before the news broke that he was officially hired by Colorado.
the coach almost ALWAYS tells his old team first.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/04/deion-sanders-tells-jackson-state-players-leaving-colorado-video

Here is the FSU release stating Jimbo resigned to take the A&M job (dated Dec 1, 2017)

https://seminoles.com/news/2017/12/1/official-jimbo-fisher-leaves-fsu-football-after-eight-seasons

Here is Jimbo's A&M Bio on their webpage stating he was announced as Head Coach on Dec 4, 2017 (3 days AFTER Florida State already announced it)

https://12thman.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jimbo-fisher/1200

Here is the Saturday Down South article announcing Dan Mullen leaving Mississippi State, even though at time article was written, he still hadn't been announced by Florida

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mississippi-state-announces-dan-mullen-left-program/

here is the news breaking the Lincoln Riley informed staff (ok I'll admit it doesn't say players, but still) before anyone even knew he was a candidate at USC.

https://dailysnark.com/2021/11/28/breaking-lincoln-riley-informs-coaching-staff-hes-leaving-oklahoma-for-usc-hc-job/

Here is the article stating Kelly texted his team to address the situation Dated November 29, 2021.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/11/29/brian-kelly-texts-notre-dame-players-he-is-leaving-for-lsu/

and a quote from the article straight up saying it's inexcusable for players to find out before coach tells them.

The news did break in the afternoon but that doesn’t excuse the coach from having his players find out from anyone but himself.

Here is Brian Kelly's bio page from LSUSports.net saying he was named Head Coach on Dec 1, 2021 (2 days after the story about his text was released.)

https://lsusports.net/sports/fb/roster/coach/brian-kelly/

I can keep going if you'd like.

the point is, it's actually quite rare that a coach sneaks away in middle of the night without addressing his old team first.
before they hear an official announcement from anyone else (obviously rumors start swirling around before any of this happens).
and when it does happen, they get called out for it (Saban, Petrino, Elko).

because it's a dick move.

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I don't know what he said in his 2 minute (or 11 minute) meeting.  He might apologize because that is the way that it must be done, and the old team gets notified second.  He might be apologizing for the system, and not that he personally did anything wrong.  He did what the coaching change system forces you to do.

he apologized because they heard it elsewhere first instead of from him.

and even still, all of it happened before LSU announced it.

Who freaking cares which school gets notified 1st? Some do it one way, others do it the other way.

As noted, there is no easy way to do it.

There is this fake expectation by the public that if you bolt quickly it is somehow "dishonorable". No coach is obligated to stay at a school just as schools are not obligated to stick with a coach until their contract expires.

Coaches get fired and new opportunities open up as a result.  These guys spend a significant portion of their careers as assistants that live out of moving boxes year after year as they climb the ladder for the next better opportunity. Many assistants actually rely on their wives to be breadwinners because the pay stinks for jobs when they are still getting established.

When a head coach moves from a school like Duke to Texas A&M, they are cashing in on the dues they've paid over the years. What obligation is there?

Texas A&M is reportedly closing in on a major hire for Mike Elko’s coaching staff.

The Aggies are set to hire former LSU strength and conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt. Football Scoop was first to share that news on Tuesday evening. Moffitt spent more than 20 seasons with the Tigers and helped the program with 3 national championships under 3 different head coaches.