Gameday Tigers

Coaching Changes 2023-2024 Football

LSUDad

(More)

Most recently, Moffitt helped LSU win the 2019 national championship with Ed Orgeron as head coach. Moffitt was also named as FootballScoops’ national strength and conditioning coach of the year for his efforts that season.

Moffitt left LSU after the 2021 season with Brian Kelly took over as head coach. The Texas A&M job will be his first role back in college athletics since leaving the Tigers.

Moffitt is a Tennessee native. He also worked with Tennessee and Miami before joining LSU in January of 2000.

This is a significant hire for Elko, who is looking to rebuild Texas A&M’s football program into a national power. The Aggies have not finished a season ranked inside the AP Top 25 since they went 10-1 in 2020.

Grambling is set to hire Mickey Josephas its next head coach, ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg reported Sunday evening. Joseph most recently served as the interim head coach at Nebraska in 2022 following the firing of Scott Frost. 

He led the Cornhuskers to a 3-6 record to close out that season and did not coach anywhere in 2023. Now he will end his hiatus as he prepares to take over a Tigers team that finished 5-6 this past year.

Prior to taking over as the Huskers interim coach, Joseph spent the first three games of the 2022 season as the associate head coach, receivers coach and passing game coordinator. He is a former Nebraska quarterback who played for the team from 1988-91.

4 hours ago, Big T said:

So what's the skinny! Out with it

I have no skinny. I just think it's odd he's been out for weeks and nobody's picked him up. I'd say it's possible he's already secretly got a job and maybe it's lsu. God knows steeples cannot stay here. 

He don't have to go home but he canNOT remain here

• Like 1

Interesting that they hired back an OC they fired several years ago.

If it indeed becomes official, he'll be Tiger Bait even though I like Denbrock.

Kelly will hire a more than adequate replacement.

I'll still hold out hope that Woodward opens the checkbook. 

BATON ROUGE – Cortez Hankton and Joe Sloan will serve as co-offensive coordinators for LSU’s game against Wisconsin in the ReliaQuest Bowl, head coach Brian Kelly announced on Friday.

Sloan and Hankton are both in their second year with the Tigers. Sloan coaches the LSU quarterbacks, while Hankton serves as passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.

“I’m confident in Cortez and Joe’s ability to run the offense,” Kelly said. “They will collaborate in the passing game and work with Brad (Davis) and Frank (Wilson) in the running game. They will execute a great game plan for us. They are a cohesive group of coaches and I’m excited about this opportunity for them. I know they will do a good job.”

Davis serves as LSU’s offensive line coach, while Wilson coaches the running backs. LSU’s offensive line was recently named one of three finalists for the Joe Moore Award, which is given to the best offensive line in college football.

The move came after Mike Denbrock departed the staff to take a position at another school.

The Tigers wrapped up pre-Christmas bowl preparations today and depart for Tampa and the ReliaQuest Bowl on Dec. 26. Kickoff between 13th-ranked LSU and Wisconsin is scheduled for 11 a.m. CT on Jan. 1. The game will be televised on ESPN2.

• Like 2

I have to believe the LSU OC job is highly desirable.  Kelly is stable in his job, we owe him for 8 more years, so you should not have to worry about the whole staff being turned out.  LSU has players.  Kelly has stocked an o-line, receivers, good at QB, RB, tight end.  The schedule will be a meat grinder every year.  If Kelly decides not to coach until he's 68 or 70, chance for a promotion at a top program if you perform.

• Like 2

Denbrock's pact with the Fighting Irish has been structured to pay the veteran offensive play-caller more than $2 million per year; the total value of the deal, several sources with intimate knowledge of the proceedings told FootballScoop, was guaranteed at approximately $9 million, pending completion of the deal's full term. 

• Like 1