Gameday Tigers

Coaching Changes 2023-2024 Football

LSUDad

• 2 weeks later...

** BREAKING ** Sources close to the situation in Athens feel Georgia Bulldogs Head Coach Kirby Smart WILL listen to an offer from Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank in the next few days. Earlier today the Falcons fired Head Coach Arthur Smith after 3 seasons. It is believed that the new world of college football with NIL deals and the transfer portal make the NFL more appealing to coach Smart than ever before. The current broken structure of college football forces coaches to perpetually recruit high school players, possible transfers, and their own current players year round. Smart who played at Georgia, has won two national championships as the Bulldogs Head Coach. The Falcons are in position to offer Smart almost double his current contract! Smart ranks 3rd of all college coaches making just over $10 million annually. The top group of coaches in the NFL are making roughly $20 million annually. Another factor in the decision is the pressure of playing in the SEC. Essentially every week in college football is a must win situation for national contenders. NFL teams can have a successful year and playoff run with a 9-8 record. Stay tuned for updates as this is a fluid situation. #chillsports #UGA #FalconsNation #atlanta #NFL #collegefootball #GoDawgs #atlantafalcons

New Orleans Saints Head Coach Dennis Allen announced that the team has parted ways with Offensive Coordinator Pete Carmichael, Senior Offensive Assistant Bob Bicknell and Wide Receivers Coach Kodi Burns.

“I would like to thank Pete, Bob and Kodi for their service to the New Orleans Saints and to this coaching staff,” said Allen. “These types of decisions are never easy to come to, but are necessary as we move forward.”

“I would especially like to thank Pete for his contributions to this staff for 18 seasons.  I have a tremendous amount of respect for the job he has done and as a colleague.”

FYI:

Harbaugh has sought to have his contract grant him immunity from termination for any violation stemming from those cases. It additionally spells out any penalty he may face should the NCAA rule him responsible in any future case. That would include specific fine amounts for any Level I or Level II violation.

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

New Orleans Saints Head Coach Dennis Allen announced that the team has parted ways with Offensive Coordinator Pete Carmichael, Senior Offensive Assistant Bob Bicknell and Wide Receivers Coach Kodi Burns.

“I would like to thank Pete, Bob and Kodi for their service to the New Orleans Saints and to this coaching staff,” said Allen. “These types of decisions are never easy to come to, but are necessary as we move forward.”

“I would especially like to thank Pete for his contributions to this staff for 18 seasons.  I have a tremendous amount of respect for the job he has done and as a colleague.”

Too bad they didn't part was with Allen

On 1/9/2024 at 2:30 PM, LSUDad said:

** BREAKING ** Sources close to the situation in Athens feel Georgia Bulldogs Head Coach Kirby Smart WILL listen to an offer from Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank in the next few days. Earlier today the Falcons fired Head Coach Arthur Smith after 3 seasons. It is believed that the new world of college football with NIL deals and the transfer portal make the NFL more appealing to coach Smart than ever before. The current broken structure of college football forces coaches to perpetually recruit high school players, possible transfers, and their own current players year round. Smart who played at Georgia, has won two national championships as the Bulldogs Head Coach. The Falcons are in position to offer Smart almost double his current contract! Smart ranks 3rd of all college coaches making just over $10 million annually. The top group of coaches in the NFL are making roughly $20 million annually. Another factor in the decision is the pressure of playing in the SEC. Essentially every week in college football is a must win situation for national contenders. NFL teams can have a successful year and playoff run with a 9-8 record. Stay tuned for updates as this is a fluid situation. #chillsports #UGA #FalconsNation #atlanta #NFL #collegefootball #GoDawgs #atlantafalcons

I hope they call his bluff and force him to walk.

• Like 1

It did not take long for the South Alabama Jaguars to find their replacement for former head coach Kane Wommack. Shortly after Wommack surrendered his head coaching position to join Kalen DeBoer’s Alabama Menstrual Wave coaching staff as defensive coordinator, the Jaguars athletic department promoted offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, naming him the program’s next head coach, according to ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

Applewhite joined the South Alabama coaching ranks in 2021, where he began to help reshape the Jaguars offense under Wommack. In their first season together, Applewhite and Womack led South Alabama to a 5-7 record in 2021 and doubled their number of wins the following season, finishing the year 10-3, just missing the Sunbelt championship game in 2022.

2 hours ago, Herb said:

At one point, Applewhite was considered an 'up and coming' coach.

Yes he went through HC coaching rehab as an analyst at Alabama. Maybe this gig as HC works out for him.

He's from BR and played at Catholic High.  Can't recall if LSU recruited him.

• LSUDad changed the title to Coaching Changes 2023-2024 Football
21 minutes ago, Big T said:

I think its a given that the Mich job is going to be open soon. Do we have to worry about the smoke around Kelly and the big blue?

@LSUDad

I’m going to say no. Michigan has not been a big spender over the years. Promote from within, is for me the betting line. But how long will this NC hold in Michigan? Do they give that staff a shot, do they bring in a coach, tell him who he keeps and who goes? 

You know Kelly made the decisions at LSU, see who he kept and who he let go. Kelly has one of the best AD’s in college football. 

Michigan AD: “Warde J. Manuel was named Michigan's Donald R. Shepherd Director of Athletics on January 29, 2016. Manuel's original five-year appointment was extended on Feb. 18, 2021, and runs through June 30, 2026. 

I understand Denbrock leaving, his stock has never been higher. Many times the family comes into play, if Mom ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. 

You know I have a few stories. In 2004, Jimbo Fisher got an interview with MooU, they gave him time to decide. Jimbo called a friend of mine that had coached In Starkvegas. Jimbo was asking questions about taking the job, my friend said, wait, something better will come along, Jimbo passed, they hired Sylvester Croom. My buddy told Jimbo, “If you’re offering me a job, I have to pass. My wife would kill me!” They had been there for one season, my friend said that was his only stop, where his wife didn’t like Starkvegas. 

Some might like this story. The gang is back together. 
In 2017, Cincinnati had a 4-8 season. The following season, the head coach moved his OC/QB’s coach to OC and TE’s coach. His RB’s coach, then went to QB’s coach. The DC there was a guy named Marcus Freeman. The OC and TE’s Coach, Mike Denbrock. The new QB’s coach Gino Guidugli. The head coach? Luke Fickell. 

So now, at ND. The Head Coach Marcus Freeman. The Quarterbacks Coach/Pass Game Coordinator Gino. Now Denbrock is the Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends. The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

1 hour ago, Big T said:

I think its a given that the Mich job is going to be open soon. Do we have to worry about the smoke around Kelly and the big blue?

@LSUDad

What I forgot to say, Kelly and Woody aren’t scared to make changes, wholesale changes. I trust this AD to handle things as they show up to him. Doesn’t waver. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

What I forgot to say, Kelly and Woody aren’t scared to make changes, wholesale changes. I trust this AD to handle things as they show up to him. Doesn’t waver. 

Hope you are right. There are no shortage of pieces saying if Mich offers Kelly the job that he would take it. That sort of worries me but hopefully they aren't interested in him and promote Moore to the job. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big T said:

Hope you are right. There are no shortage of pieces saying if Mich offers Kelly the job that he would take it. That sort of worries me but hopefully they aren't interested in him and promote Moore to the job. 

first, Kelly has a strong contract.  Second, he knows he can recruit at LSU.  They asked him how recruiting was different at LSU, and he told how he got in the plane in the morning, flew to Pennsylvania, met with one kid, flew to Cali, met with one kid, flew home.  In La. he gets in the car, drives along the Miss. River and can meet with 6 kids and be home in time for dinner.  And he came for the challenge of playing in the SEC.  He likes the people and they like him.  It seems like a fit.  And the winters are mild.  I think its a tough pull to get him out of LSU.  He and Woody seem aligned.  That was important to Kelly also.

• Like 2

I mean we heard this shit with Les Miles going off to Michigan and Les Miles was a freaking Michigan alumnus.

Let's step away from the media crack pipe that is being loaded with BS from Notre Dame alums who have an axe to grind and can't fathom why ANYONE would leave the Golden Dome for LSU...in their minds it can only be to cash in on money and now that he is "set" he'll bolt at the earliest opportunity.

Saban just retired. Kelly is in a position with LSU to win multiple national championships. His ONLY real competition in the SEC right now is Georgia.

That giant sucking sound is the vacuum created by Saban retiring, which is a vacuum Kelly will dominate in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herb said:

Saban just retired. Kelly is in a position with LSU to win multiple national championships. His ONLY real competition in the SEC right now is Georgia.

That giant sucking sound is the vacuum created by Saban retiring, which is a vacuum Kelly will dominate in.

Given the same players, I’ll take Kelly coaching. After the UGA game in 2019. I was up in Woodstock, after attending the game. The next day I told my nieces husband, y’all are getting a new OC next season. I told him, watching that offense, that’s what hurt Ga the most. Ga hired Todd Monken. Todd is now a OC in the NFL for the Ravens. Todd was in the staff at Grand Vally State, the DC/RC there, Brian Kelly. 

I don’t know of anyone that could have taken over the cluster left by O, won 10 games the last two seasons, coached a Heisman Trophy winner. 

• Like 2