Gameday Tigers

The LSU NIL Collective

houtiger

I don't understand how these collectives work.  I know A&M has them too.  I thought NIL was supposed to be corporate sponsors of the athletes.  How does a bunch a men pooling their money to give to athletes work?  Legally, I mean.

Edited by dachsie

53 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I don't understand how these collectives work.  I know A&M has them too.  I thought NIL was supposed to be corporate sponsors of the athletes.  How does a bunch a men pooling their money to give to athletes work?  Legally, I mean.

simple.

as long as the money does not come directly out of the school's pocket into the hands of the athlete, it's "technically" legal.

• Like 1

I've been listening to videos on the transfer portal and NIL.  One assessment on the DT Nolen from aTm, said a 5* like Nolen with a good season would command $400K per year in NIL money.  Matt Ruhle at Nebraska has said a TOP QB in the portal would go for 1 to 2 million, and based on the comment about Nolen, it appears that is an annual figure.  Wow.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/its-at-least-1-million-to-land-good-qb-in-portal-nebraska-coach-matt-rhule-says

So where does LSU stand?  Nobody in the public knows. 

Everyone knows we need CB and DT.

It would be good to bring in an experienced QB.  It will probably not be a 1.5 mil a year dude to compete with Garrett and possibly win the job.  If that happened, you have no assurance that Garrett would stay at LSU, and if he left, you are back to Ricky Collins being your inexperienced backup.  If you think Nuss is the guy, you keep the 1.5 mil for help on defense and don't overpay for a QB.

It is probable that LSU's collective is less well funded than aTm, Texas, Gumps, Georgia.

28 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I've been listening to videos on the transfer portal and NIL.  One assessment on the DT Nolen from aTm, said a 5* like Nolen with a good season would command $400K per year in NIL money.  Matt Ruhle at Nebraska has said a TOP QB in the portal would go for 1 to 2 million, and based on the comment about Nolen, it appears that is an annual figure.  Wow.

it's out of control and will continue to spiral ridiculously like this until somebody figures out the proper legal wording for it all.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Jan. 8, 2024 - 

Jim Harbaugh is getting ready for a national title game, but that hasn’t stopped him from giving his thoughts on the overall state of college football.

The Michigan coach, while speaking with reporters Saturday before Monday’s College Football Playoff national championship against Washington, Harbaugh said it’s time for players to be involved in a revenue-sharing plan.

Harbaugh, 60, advocated for 5-to-10 percent cuts off of coaches’ and administrators’ salaries and television deals to make the idea happen, ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported.

“There used to be a saying: Old coaches — my dad’s used it, my brother’s used it — like, hey, ‘We’re all robbing the same train here, Harbaugh said, per ESPN. “Like coaches, administrators, media, television stations, conferences, NCAA. And the ones that are really robbing the train, the ones that could really get hurt are getting a very small piece. So that needs to change, too. That needs to change.

“It’s one thing for somebody to say, well, they’re getting NIL, but the billions that are being generated, they’re not getting much of, a very small percentage. They’re getting the same amount as I got in the ’80s. You’re getting a scholarship, room, board, books and tuition. So it’s like, come on, man, let’s do the right thing here.”

NCAA penalizes FSU football; assistant gets 3-game ban for violations

play

What's the latest on the Alabama coaching search? (1:01)
  • murphy_dan.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Dan Murphy, ESPN Staff WriterJan 11, 2024, 08:26 PM ET

The NCAA on Thursday announced significant penalties for the Florida State football team -- including two years' probation and disassociating with its NIL collective for one season -- for violating rules on using name, image and likeness offers as a recruiting inducement.

In addition, an FSU assistant coach, which sources confirmed to ESPN as offensive coordinator Alex Atkins, was suspended three games for his involvement. The university also must disassociate with a specific booster for three years.

Those penalties mark the first time the NCAA has severed the relationship between a school and its NIL collective as part of an infractions case. It also is the first time the NCAA has punished a school, coach or collective for using NIL as an inducement.

The NCAA didn't identify Atkins by name, but it said that the assistant coach drove a prospect to a meeting with the head of the program's most prominent NIL collective during the prospect's official visit to campus. At the meeting, the booster offered the prospect $15,000 per month and encouraged him to play for the Seminoles.

The prospect, who was not named by the NCAA but was reported by The Associated Press to be Georgia offensive tackle Amarius Mims, removed his name from the transfer portal shortly after the meeting and remained at his previous school.

Investigators didn't find that head coach Mike Norvell had committed any violations.

Yahoo Sports, who first identified Atkins, also reported that the booster involved was one of the leaders of Florida State's Rising Spear collective.

NCAA rules prohibit boosters from using the promise of NIL deals as an incentive to try to convince a prospect to attend or transfer to a particular school.

Other penalties that Florida State agreed to include two years' probation, the loss of five scholarships over two years, a $5,000 fine and several recruiting restrictions that include losing seven official visits, a six-week reduction in recruiting communications time and 24 fewer in-person recruiting days during the current academic year.

The penalties are considered Level II violations by the NCAA, which are major infractions but not as serious as Level I violations.

"We are pleased to reach closure to this situation and view this as another step in strengthening our culture of compliance at Florida State University," FSU athletic director Michael Alford said in a statement. "We take all compliance matters very seriously, and our full cooperation with the NCAA on this case is a clear example of that commitment. We remain committed to compliance with all NCAA rules including disassociation of the booster and the collective."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like NIL could go TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL!

"2/23/2024 - A federal judge in Tennessee granted a preliminary injunction Friday afternoon that prohibits the NCAA from punishing any athletes or boosters for negotiating name, image and likeness deals during their recruiting process or while they are in the transfer portal."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39585390/ncaa-enforce-nil-rules-judge-grants-injunction

In a different article, quote from Saban,

"2/22/2024 - In an interview with ESPN Wednesday, the legendary Menstrual Wave coach said he wants to “help any way I can” even as he’s no longer roaming the sideline, but bemoaned the current state of the sport.

"What we have now is not college football — not college football as we know it,” he said. “You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist."

The passage of a one-time transfer exemption and more lax rules governing athletes’ ability to profit from their name, image and likeness have fundamentally changed the sport and the way that rosters are assembled over the past several years.

While those measures have given college athletes a level of agency they were long denied, they have become a source of consternation for coaches and administrators as player movement between programs has increased dramatically and the recruiting process has been fundamentally altered. Those trends have been compounded by a lack of rules regulating the NIL space, particularly when it comes to collectives and agents.

Saban shares those frustrations.

What you have now isn't name, image and likeness,” he said. “A collective has nothing to do with name, image and likeness.

What he suggested as a salve more closely resembles a traditional employer-employee relationship between school and athlete.

"Just like an NFL player has a contract or a coach has a contract, something in place so you don't have all this raiding of rosters and mass movement," he said. "I wonder what fans are going to say when they don't even know the team from year to year because there's no development of teams, just bringing in new players every year."

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/football/2024/02/22/nick-saban-alabama-college-football-nil-transfer-portal-sec/72698369007/

On 2/24/2024 at 10:29 AM, houtiger said:

Looks like NIL could go TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL!

"2/23/2024 - A federal judge in Tennessee granted a preliminary injunction Friday afternoon that prohibits the NCAA from punishing any athletes or boosters for negotiating name, image and likeness deals during their recruiting process or while they are in the transfer portal."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39585390/ncaa-enforce-nil-rules-judge-grants-injunction

In a different article, quote from Saban,

"2/22/2024 - In an interview with ESPN Wednesday, the legendary Menstrual Wave coach said he wants to “help any way I can” even as he’s no longer roaming the sideline, but bemoaned the current state of the sport.

"What we have now is not college football — not college football as we know it,” he said. “You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist."

The passage of a one-time transfer exemption and more lax rules governing athletes’ ability to profit from their name, image and likeness have fundamentally changed the sport and the way that rosters are assembled over the past several years.

While those measures have given college athletes a level of agency they were long denied, they have become a source of consternation for coaches and administrators as player movement between programs has increased dramatically and the recruiting process has been fundamentally altered. Those trends have been compounded by a lack of rules regulating the NIL space, particularly when it comes to collectives and agents.

Saban shares those frustrations.

What you have now isn't name, image and likeness,” he said. “A collective has nothing to do with name, image and likeness.

What he suggested as a salve more closely resembles a traditional employer-employee relationship between school and athlete.

"Just like an NFL player has a contract or a coach has a contract, something in place so you don't have all this raiding of rosters and mass movement," he said. "I wonder what fans are going to say when they don't even know the team from year to year because there's no development of teams, just bringing in new players every year."

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/football/2024/02/22/nick-saban-alabama-college-football-nil-transfer-portal-sec/72698369007/

"could"?

this shyte has been totally off the rails since day 1.
and any attempt to put it back on the tracks is being torpedoed at the earliest chance they get.

things that are perfectly legal in the NFL that are now completely against the law in NCAA:

Unrestricted Free Agency - Players in the NFL sign a piece of paper and are bound by that paper - Players in NCAA sign a piece of paper and can bolt before they ever even see the practice field go wherever they want with no penalty.

Salary Cap - teams and players are bound by a certain number and cannot go over it. sure, NIL isn't "from the schools", but capping that has been struck down and cannot be regulated.  And you're kidding yourself if you think players that don't even sniff the field on Sundays are getting endorsement deals worth anywhere close to what some of these NIL deals are giving. *translation: it's not an endorsement (which is what NIL is supposed to be), it's pay to play*

Tampering - 3rd parties are not allowed to be involved in enticing a player to sign with a certain team. In NCAA however, no problem!

Endorsement Cancelling - In the NFL, if your playing time, or performance, or public image, etc. falters, (or hell, if you get traded to a shitty team in a shitty market) endorsements Deals are perfectly legal to change or even cancel.  In the NCAA, nothing about your deal can be changed due to playing time, or what team you play for.

7 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

"could"?

this shyte has been totally off the rails since day 1.
and any attempt to put it back on the tracks is being torpedoed at the earliest chance they get.

things that are perfectly legal in the NFL that are now completely against the law in NCAA:

Unrestricted Free Agency - Players in the NFL sign a piece of paper and are bound by that paper - Players in NCAA sign a piece of paper and can bolt before they ever even see the practice field go wherever they want with no penalty.

Salary Cap - teams and players are bound by a certain number and cannot go over it. sure, NIL isn't "from the schools", but capping that has been struck down and cannot be regulated.  And you're kidding yourself if you think players that don't even sniff the field on Sundays are getting endorsement deals worth anywhere close to what some of these NIL deals are giving. *translation: it's not an endorsement (which is what NIL is supposed to be), it's pay to play*

Tampering - 3rd parties are not allowed to be involved in enticing a player to sign with a certain team. In NCAA however, no problem!

Endorsement Cancelling - In the NFL, if your playing time, or performance, or public image, etc. falters, (or hell, if you get traded to a shitty team in a shitty market) endorsements Deals are perfectly legal to change or even cancel.  In the NCAA, nothing about your deal can be changed due to playing time, or what team you play for.

Bingo! 

fornicate it!

I'm starting my own professional sports league (just need some investors)

Football:

• somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 teams
  • basically will allow schools to be these 30-35 teams.  Will be a "professional" league and players can collectively bargain, etc.
  • players will all be 1-5 years removed from high school.
  • once you sign on with NFL, you can't come back, etc.
  • will play completely under the NCAA rule book.
  • play on Saturdays in the fall.

In other words I'm going to completely re-create what made college football awesome, except will be privately owned and financed.  The NCAA can pound sand, and the courts can go fornicate themselves too.

Baseball:

• See above for most rules
  • will roughly mirror the current scheduling format

Baseball has a ton more teams, so will have to do some re configuring.

I'm thinking something along the lines of what European Soccer leagues do.
Each year, the (haven't decided a number) teams that finish at the very bottom of the upper league will be relegated down to the lower league. And likewise that same number that finishes at top of the lower league will be able to advance to the upper league.

Our World Series will be played in same ballpark every year.
but that park will be built with Baseball in mind. 
Something classic.  The bells and whistles ain't what made Omaha the event it is.  It was the atmosphere. It was being at a Ballpark (not a corporate eyesore stadium).

Step one, I'm gonna need several billion dollars, and a few dozen billionaires to join me.

after that, I think we got it licked.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 11:03 PM, Nutriaitch said:

fornicate it!

I'm starting my own professional sports league (just need some investors)

Football:

• somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 teams
  • basically will allow schools to be these 30-35 teams.  Will be a "professional" league and players can collectively bargain, etc.
  • players will all be 1-5 years removed from high school.
  • once you sign on with NFL, you can't come back, etc.
  • will play completely under the NCAA rule book.
  • play on Saturdays in the fall.

In other words I'm going to completely re-create what made college football awesome, except will be privately owned and financed.  The NCAA can pound sand, and the courts can go fornicate themselves too.