Gameday Tigers

Complete Defensive Staff Overhaul

Hatchertiger

After a tough year on the field for his unit, LSU defensive coordinator Matt House has officially been let go by the Tigers, according to a statement released by head coach Brian Kelly. 

Kelly also confirms the departure of defensive line coach Jimmy Lindsey and defensive backs coaches Robert Steeples and Kerry Cooks. You can see the statement right here or read the full thing further down:

Full Statement from Brian Kelly

The statement from Kelly on the firings:

“This morning, I met with Matt House, Kerry Cooks, Robert Steeples, and Jimmy Lindsey to inform them that they would not return to our coaching staff in 2024. I want to thank each of these coaches for their work on behalf of our football program and our institution during their time here. Decisions like these are always difficult, and we do not make them lightly, but they are made with the best interests of our program and our student-athletes in mind. Moving forward, we will continue working to build a championship caliber coaching staff in support of our mission to Graduate champions.”

LSU defense historically bad:

After all, LSU finished the year ranked 101st in total defense (409.2 yards per game allowed), 89th in rushing defense (163.8 yards per game allowed), 104th in passing defense (245.4 yards per game allowed) and 77th in scoring defense (27.8 points per game allowed) by the end of the regular season. For a team with national championship aspirations and coming off an SEC West title, the stark drop-off in defense was simply unacceptable this season.

With even a decent defense, plus the Heisman winner and No. 1 offense in the nation, LSU easily could have been back in the mix to win the division and take another shot at Georgia in the SEC title with a College Football Playoff spot on the line. Alas, the defense let this group down, over and over and over again. Kelly’s hand was forced, because there was no way he could enter next fall with the exact same defensive staff. 

Kelly explained recently, though, that evaluations were coming and tough decisions could be made.

“Everybody is part of this evaluation process,” he said. “Our players will be evaluated this week, then I’ll go through a lengthy evaluation process of our entire staff, not just the coaches but the entire support staff as well.”

Joker just cleaned "House" pun intended. Like errbody! Aint got to go home but you can't stay here!

This should be fun. Probably an unpopular opinion but I'd be on the phone with Raymond right now! Like don't wait, RIGHT NOW!!! Get that dude back here. 

• Haha 2

Multiple sources confirm Brian Kelly has kept John Jancek on staff at #LSU. Jancek went from analyst to special teams coach and OLBs coach, then transitioned to helping with the DL. He's under contract through the 2024 season.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Multiple sources confirm Brian Kelly has kept John Jancek on staff at #LSU. Jancek went from analyst to special teams coach and OLBs coach, then transitioned to helping with the DL. He's under contract through the 2024 season.

Is he going to do the right thing and get Corey back home?

11 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

2024 will be interesting for sure. New OC and DCs.

After Nicks first season at LSU, he lost a few coaches. 4 if I’m not mistaken. On the Offensive side Jimbo had input. 

On the other side, Nick got a little input. Nick did lose a DC quickly one year, the guy lasted about a month. He then moved a guy up to the position, but everyone knew, it was Nicks defense. 

Kelly has done this before, he’s known who he’s got and who he’s going after. 
Has to be a good fit. Kelly is involved with the offense side, in a big way. But has been a DC and DB coach also a Recruiting Coordinator before getting a Head Coaching job. So he knows what he wants on that side of the ball also.

10 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Nick is constantly losing coaches LOL  If you hire good coordinators they are likely to move on and become a HC. Its the nature of the beast.

All 4 that he lost, took the same jobs at another school. The DC, took another DC job. The 3 position coaches, took position jobs. 
The thing with Nick, work with him, pad your resume. You know you’ll be eating two meals a day out of a box. You’ll miss a ton of your kids activities. An he’ll cus you like a dog. But he does win. Mark Emmert was the buffer while Nick was at LSU. 

2 hours ago, Big T said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'd be on the phone with Raymond right now!

Not unpopular, just hope Raymond gets a cold splash of water in his face and realizes that it is LSU that makes coaches famous, not the other way around. We know he can recruit DBs.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Sarkisian was the OC at Gumps when he left to take the HC at Texas.

I was talking about nicks first season at LSU. You remember the LSU DC Nick had, John Thompson? 

• Like 1

I keep hearing and seeing his name as well and statements that he has "emerged" as the leading candidate. Not a shred of evidence that he is even being considered. I suppose its his connection to LSU and Louisiana.   Who knows?  There were talking heads last week stating House was not going to be fired.  So they don't really have any insight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Everyone is looking at Blake Baker, who I'd love to have. 

But think about it... When has Woodward hired the first name you heard out the box? May not even be anyone on the "hot list".

Is this going to be a Woodward hire or a Kelly hire? I don't think Kelly would be okay with Scott saying "Here is the guy I picked for you". Instead I think Kelly will tell Scott "go get me this guy" but I don't know enough to know.

Woodward writes the checks. 

I don't know which is the reason, but since both have arrived, there are no leaks in that department. Nobody "knows" what's gonna happen until it happens. 

That's the way it should be. Remember Alleva and his idiotic searches??

• Like 2