Gameday Tigers

Topic About Anything

houtiger

• 4 weeks later...

How many subdivisions in the US can boast of TWO OLYMPIANS in the same year (or ever)?  Our neighborhood in Houston has two this year.  Cat Osterman is a pitcher on the women's softball team at age 38, and Lawson Craddock is a cyclist (his dad roofed my house).

Cat is a big lady, 6' 2".  She pitched for the Longhorns in college.  The link below does a good job covering her whole career.

https://www.newsweek.com/cat-osterman-sporting-career-husband-family-olympic-softball-pitcher-1611416

Watch her pitch placement as she throws a no hitter vs. Australia.  For an underhand delivery, she is simply outstanding (only 40 seconds long).

2 minute piece on Lawson Craddock:

What it takes for Cat to get ready for the Olympics again at age 38:

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

The women's US team defeated Japan earlier in the tournament, but lost to Japan in the finals. 

Japan defeated USA Softball in the gold medal game on Tuesday, 2-0. The Americans entered the game with a perfect 5-0 record in group play, and on Monday handed Japan its only loss, 2-1, on Kelsey Stewart's seventh-inning, walk-off home run. The Tokyo 2020 softball tournament concludes with Team USA walking away with the silver medal and Canada getting the bronze medal (the country's first in softball) after defeating Mexico, 3-2, earlier on Tuesday.

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Bo was at LSU for a while, player and coach. As a player, I seem to remember him missing the bowl game. He’s not the only one not happy. 

Edited by LSUDad

• 2 months later...

I was cruising around youtube and listened to an old interview with Dennis Rodman, but he was retired and calmed down a little.  They asked him if he had any good Larry Bird story.  Rodman said in his rookie year with the Pistons, they assigned him to guard Bird, that was his only job.  He said at the half as the teams left the floor, he went to Bird and told him "if you were black, you'd be no better than a average player...".   He said that was the wrong thing, Bird came out and worked him over pretty good.  Rodman said he got smarter after that, no need to antagonize Larry Bird.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Thu, April 14, 2022

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Kelvin Joseph is being sought as a “person of interest” in connection with a Dallas area homicide that occurred on March 18, sources have told Yahoo Sports.

The Dallas Police Department is seeking an interview with Joseph, after he appeared to be in surveillance footage near the scene of the shooting death of 20-year old Cameron Ray. Homicide investigators released multiple pieces of footage to Fox 4 News in Dallas earlier this week, asking viewers to identify any individuals they might recognize. The footage featured a group of men that appeared to include Joseph entering and standing inside a nightclub, as well as a fight that occurred with the same group outside the establishment. Shortly after that altercation, surveillance shows Ray and others walking to nearby cars, when a dark-colored SUV speeds by firing gunshots. Ray was struck and died later at a local hospital.

A source told Yahoo Sports the Cowboys became aware of Joseph being a person of interest in the investigation Thursday and have encouraged his cooperation with investigators. Cowboys security is also reviewing Joseph’s potential involvement in the altercation outside the nightclub and expect to be cooperating fully with investigators.

Dallas police detective Tonya McDaniel appeared in the Fox 4 report and said the group inside the nightclub had been identified as the same group that was involved in the altercation outside.

“They are the same people who were involved in that fight,” McDaniel said.

After playing collegiately at LSU and Kentucky, Joseph was a second-round pick by the Cowboys in the 2021 NFL draft. He is also known as “YKDV Bossman Fat” as a hip-hop artist.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A fifty minute special on the career of Bill Russell, who won 11 championship titles with the Boston Celtics in the '60's.  I watched the Celtics win many of those titles, they were a great team.  I thought the game was more interesting then, they could play different styles against different teams, seemed like there was more thinking involved in the game.  He was the player / coach for two of the championships.  He had some very unique outlooks on life and the game.

• Like 2

Like you, I watched a lot the Celtics during the '60s.  Cousy, Havliceck, Sam & KC Jones and of course Russell.  They were led by the legendary Red Auerbach.  Unfortunately that type of basketball has long departed the scene and is the primary reason I no longer watch the NBA.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, COTiger said:

Like you, I watched a lot the Celtics during the '60s.  Cousy, Havliceck, Sam & KC Jones and of course Russell.  They were led by the legendary Red Auerbach.  Unfortunately that type of basketball has long departed the scene and is the primary reason I no longer watch the NBA.

I don't watch the NBA anymore either.  The gameplan seems set, it doesn't vary much.  You spread the floor, pass the ball around the perimeter, hope you get one of the defenders a half step too slow going over to cover the guy with the ball, and he pops the shot.  Or, a real quick guard drives on his man to the basket.

It's great athleticism, not a lot of thinking, and its boring after a while.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this, and I immediately thought of La.  Someone else did also.

Chemical Engineer (2006–present)Apr 5

In my travels across much of the US, I’ve only encountered one state where I feel like I could be dropped into the state at random, look around for a bit, and quickly know what state I was in.

Louisiana.

Every part of the US has its own regional variations in culture, geography, etc, but most of those are fairly expansive. I couldn’t tell, by looking around, whether I was in Arizona or New Mexico, whether I was in Montana or North Dakota, or whether I was in New Hampshire or Vermont. But Louisiana has a flavor that’s distinct, even from the rest of the deep south. A big part of it is likely due to its unique history, part likely due to it’s unusual geography, but there’s a lot of local culture there that’s developed in a way that’s not quite like any other place I’ve seen.

If you’re in Louisiana, you’re gonna know you’re in Louisiana.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2022 at 1:41 PM, houtiger said:

I was cruising around youtube and listened to an old interview with Dennis Rodman, but he was retired and calmed down a little.  They asked him if he had any good Larry Bird story.  Rodman said in his rookie year with the Pistons, they assigned him to guard Bird, that was his only job.  He said at the half as the teams left the floor, he went to Bird and told him "if you were black, you'd be no better than a average player...".   He said that was the wrong thing, Bird came out and worked him over pretty good.  Rodman said he got smarter after that, no need to antagonize Larry Bird.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 8:37 AM, houtiger said:

I don't watch the NBA anymore either.  The gameplan seems set, it doesn't vary much.  You spread the floor, pass the ball around the perimeter, hope you get one of the defenders a half step too slow going over to cover the guy with the ball, and he pops the shot.  Or, a real quick guard drives on his man to the basket.

It's great athleticism, not a lot of thinking, and its boring after a while.

a couple years ago i went to our local gym and found a bunch og High School-ers playing.

said "i got next".
I was 38 or 39, some other dude i never met was sitting on sideline watching was a year or so younger, and we grabbed another guy in early 20s or so.

we lost first game we played and you could tell me and other "old dude" was rusty as hell.  Teenagers laughed at us.

sat out one game waiting our next one.  and never lost again.

we did this weird thing where a guy with the ball drives to the basket, when all 3 of them converged on me i passed to other old guy who had an uncontested layup.

these kids had never seen such an innovative play before in their lives.
next possession, i get a step and drive again. all 3 opponents flocked to cover the other old guy so i didn't pass to him.  Which of course gave me an uncontested layup.

another possession i had ball at top of the key, old guy spun and broke to basket. WIDE ASS OPEN for another easy basket.

these kids kept chucking 3s thinking they was all Steph Curry (spoiler alert: they aren't). They missed way more than they made. We kept getting easy wide open high percentage shots.

those kids didn't know what to think at end of the night getting owned by old dudes playing 1980s and 1990s style basketball.

• Like 1

Great Video LSUDad!  I remember he had a great year that year, but I was not aware he had 18 K's in one game.  The video of the fan reaction is great to watch.  I heard after he retired he lived not too far from Cankton, in the country, sort of between Carencro and Scott also.  Maybe something like Gloria Switch Road.  I heard he was very down to earth and a nice person.

• Like 1

Deshawn Watson goes to Cleveland, he must be a bigger star than Derius Guice so Watson can still play.

Watson signs a 5 year contract, $230 million, or $46 million per year.  He gets a $45 million signing bonue, and will make $1 million (ok, really 690K) his first season.  So, when the NFL suspends him for 6 games, or whatever, he will still make his 45 million because it was almost all "signing bonus".  If he didn't play for 6 games, his fine would be around 250K.

If I was Goodell, I would say he has to serve his suspension in 2023.  The contract is written just to avoid most of the financial impact of a fine.  There is no other contract in existence like that, written that way for one reason only, avoiding the impact of salary loss due to suspension.  The penalty should take into account the obvious contortion to avoid a significant financial impact, and it would be fair if the penalty was contorted also.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

Jun 3, 2022 - Former Alabama and USC defensive lineman Ishmael Sopsher is back in the NCAA transfer portal. Sopsher, one of the top ranked defensive tackles in the 2019 recruiting class, re-entered the portal earlier this week, On3 has learned. The Louisiana native had transferred to Southeastern Louisiana earlier this offseason.

On 8/6/2022 at 2:12 PM, houtiger said:

There is no other contract in existence like that, written that way for one reason only, avoiding the impact of salary loss due to suspension.

while this is on the extreme end, this type of structure is actually not that uncommon.

and they are actually written this way to alleviate salary cap hits. If Cleveland has a huge Cap number this coming year, then by back loading the contract or putting his money into "bonuses" it hits their cap number differently than if it was paid out as a salary.

typically you can prorate a bonus over 5 years. whereas a salary all hits in that season.
so that $45 mil bonus this season only counts as $9 mil against the salary cap.

no, you cannot just do that every year of a guy's contract. there are rules in place that prevent abusing the system like that.

On 8/6/2022 at 2:12 PM, houtiger said:

Deshawn Watson goes to Cleveland, he must be a bigger star than Derius Guice so Watson can still play.

Watson signs a 5 year contract, $230 million, or $46 million per year.  He gets a $45 million signing bonue, and will make $1 million (ok, really 690K) his first season.  So, when the NFL suspends him for 6 games, or whatever, he will still make his 45 million because it was almost all "signing bonus".  If he didn't play for 6 games, his fine would be around 250K.

If I was Goodell, I would say he has to serve his suspension in 2023.  The contract is written just to avoid most of the financial impact of a fine.  There is no other contract in existence like that, written that way for one reason only, avoiding the impact of salary loss due to suspension.  The penalty should take into account the obvious contortion to avoid a significant financial impact, and it would be fair if the penalty was contorted also.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

also, i realize this is the Browns we're discussing, but signing a contract to specifically offset a suspension would be colossally stupid.

If Watson doesn't get paid, the Browns save money. Also that saved money does not count against the salary cap.

example (using his 2023 salary).
$46 mil divided by 17 games = roughly $2.7 mil per game check
$2.7 mil times 6 games = roughly $16.25 mil.

Why on god's green earth would Cleveland sign a deal specifically designed to cost them an extra $16 million dollars for zero production?