Gameday Tigers

Topic About Anything

houtiger

Some years back I mentioned my high school classmate, Ray Sibille, who was a very good jockey.  He is being inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, class of 2024.  He is back in the Sunset area and has made a couple of our class reunions.  He said he goes to a track and helps with training a horse.  He wants to talk with the guys and stay involved.

From the induction Press Release:

"Sibille retired from racing in 2004 after a 35-year career that saw him record 4,264 wins, the first of which came at Evangeline Downs in July 1969 after honing his craft on the Louisiana bush tracks. He is one of an impressive 15 state jockeys – most from the Acadiana region — who rank among the sport’s 80 all-time who have at least 4,000 career wins. His mounts won $68,880,807.

A year after his retirement, he was selected by his peers nationally as the winner of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, which is given annually for career achievements and personal character that reflect positively on the sport of thoroughbred racing. Sibille won the Breeders’ Cup Turf in 1988 aboard Great Communicator. He made his name at some of the nation’s top midwest tracks in the 1970s, winning riding titles at Arlington Park, Hawthorne and Sportsman’s Park. He had 105 wins at Sportsman’s Park in 1981, which was a record that stood until 1992."

In July '69, Ray was getting ready to enter his Sr. year of high school.

He's going in with Simone Augustus, Drew Brees and Kerry Joseph.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

main-qimg-48ccf1d2ae43fe3934412e7fe963b9a3.jpg.8566800f27a445fca44351baf41af998.jpg

November 20, 1960…Eagles vs. Giants…Yankee Stadium…one of the most defining games in NFL history…

As Giants halfback….Frank Gifford…..future TV star….sprinted towards the sidelines to get out of bounds to stop the clock….Gifford did not see

Eagles linebacker “Concrete Chuck” Bednarik lurking.

The 235 pound linebacker leveled Gifford with a full body clothesline tackle causing a fumble, recovered by The Eagles, to seal a pivotal win

on the way to the 1960 NFL championship.

Bednarik stood on the field pointing to Gifford and laughing.

A disgraceful performance by a guy who was supposed to be an old pro.

Gifford spent 10 days in the hospital and did not play for 2 years.

main-qimg-fe50a23fa2af69d3db226702fd57bfae.jpg.dda1fce680affeceea79214e8192bd9e.jpg

main-qimg-229600644d4bb627ceebef35f63da8ff.jpg.5e9652262f97b6db27af7219235d9b9a.jpg

Frank didn't take offense to the hit:

Frank Gifford was more respectful of Bednarik’s fumble-causing blow that left the standout running back prone on his back and unconscious with a brain injury so severe that Gifford didn’t return to the Giants until the 1962 season.

Chuck Bednarik Frank Gifford

It was diagnosed as a spinal concussion years later when an X-ray revealed that Frank Gifford had suffered a broken neck vertebra that healed itself.

“Chuck hit me exactly the way I would have hit him,” Gifford told New York Times columnist Dave Anderson before the 50th anniversary of that game. “With his shoulder, a clean shot.”

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/football-community-mourns-the-larger-than-life-personality-of-chuck-bednarik/#google_vignette

Speaking of Frank, he and Kathie Lee were expecting their first child. This was over 30 years ago. They had a girls name picked out, Cassidy. But had not picked out a boys name. Frank was doing a game Kathie was watching the broadcast. During the game, one of the OL for the Cleveland Browns got something in his eye. Frank said it was Cody Risien, a 7th round draft pick out of aTm. When Frank got back home, Kathie Lee asked what he thought about the name Cody. They both agreed. The first was a baby boy. They named him Cody Gifford. A couple years later, a girl was born, the name Cassidy, the original name of the first child if it was a girl. 

Some years later Kathie Lee got to checking on the guy she had named her son after, a strange thing was found. Both Cody’s were born on March 22nd. Risien in 1957 and Gifford in 1990. 
Another strange thing was found, Cassidy, the name can be spelled a number of ways, using a K, I’s, etc. But Kathie Lee, spelled it that way. Kathie also found out Cody Risien youngest daughter is a girl named Cassidy, spelled the same way. 

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dec. 28, 2023

Six weeks ago, Cleveland Browns quarterback Joe Flacco was on his couch watching the 2023 NFL season unfold.

Now he just might be the story of the year.

Flacco balled out again Thursday, leading the Browns to their fourth straight win, a 37–20 victory over the New York Jets at Cleveland Browns Stadium. As the hopes of Browns fans grow, so does the quarterback’s bank account.

So far, Flacco has earned $300,000 in contract incentives by beating the Jets, Jacksonville JaguarsChicago Bears and Houstons Texans over the last four weeks—$75,000 for each win.

Flacco can win an additional $75,000 by helping the Browns beat the Cincinnati Bengals next week in their regular-season finale. But it doesn’t stop there.

He’ll also earn $250,000 for a wild-card postseason win, $500,000 for a divisional round playoff win, $1 million for an AFC championship game win and $2 million for bringing Cleveland a Super Bowl title.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw this on FB today, lest we forget how good Ron Guidry was back in the day.

Ron Guidry

Position: Pitcher

Bats: Left  •  Throws: Left

5-11161lb (180cm, 73kg)

Born: August 28, 1950 (Age: 73-164d) in Lafayette, LA us

Draft: Drafted by the New York Yankees in the 3rd round of the 1971 MLB June Amateur Draft from University of Louisiana at Lafayette (Lafayette, LA).

"Northside High School Alumni

Ronald Ames Guidry (/ˈɡɪdri/; born August 28, 1950), nicknamed "Louisiana Lightning" and "Gator",[1] is an American former professional baseball pitcher who played 14 seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the New York Yankees. Guidry was also the pitching coach of the Yankees from 2006 to 2007.

Guidry's major league career began in 1975. He was a member of World Series-winning Yankees teams in 1977 and 1978, both over the Los Angeles Dodgers. He won the American League Cy Young Award in 1978, winning 25 games and losing only 3. He also won five Gold Glove Awards and appeared in four All-Star games. Guidry served as captain of the Yankees beginning in 1986; he retired from baseball in 1989. In 2003, the Yankees retired Guidry's uniform number (49) and dedicated a plaque to him in Monument Park."

image.thumb.jpeg.9ad9de36c93db3931ab28cabfd68f637.jpeg
Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent interview with Roger Clemens, the Rocket.

He was old when he came to Houston to pitch for the Astros.  I think it was his first of two seasons with the Astros, he had a special deal.  He didn't have to go to spring training, and he didn't travel with the team if he was not pitching on the road trip.  He was semi retired.  The Astros had to win 12 out of 15 games to make the playoffs, so every game was a playoff atmosphere, the Astros got hot late in the season.  I had the "company" seats right above the Astros dugout.  Clemens on the mound, he was a tough customer.  Game face on all the time.  I thought when he closed out an inning and came to the dugout he would smile or look relaxed.  Nooooo.  He trotted back to the dugout with a look that could kill, he couldn't wait to get out there next inning, put them out and win the game.  If he didn't like the ump's call, he waited before his next pitch and glared at the ref, telling him he made the wrong call.

• Like 1

Picture of Clint Eastwood and Donna Douglas, probably early 60's, on the set of the TV show "Mr. Ed", you know, the talking horse.  Clint was big on Rawhide, and Donna had not made it big on Beverly Hillbilly's yet. 

image.jpeg.8638dbc075d0690b52a289c24abec1cf.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2024 at 3:37 PM, houtiger said:

I thought when he closed out an inning and came to the dugout he would smile or look relaxed.  Nooooo.  He trotted back to the dugout with a look that could kill, 

Roid rage

• 2 weeks later...

Going back 40 years or so, let us not forget how good Herschel Walker was.  In Herschel's freshman season at Georgia, they went undefeated and played Notre Dame in the championship.  Herschel dislocated his shoulder early in the first quarter, but played the rest of the game, protecting the shoulder when he could.  Ga. won the natty.

• Like 1

Hershel was a damn goor RB.

but I'm just curious looking at your most recent former players that you've posted about, are intentionally trying to rile me up with guys I don't like. Or is it just a coincidence?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Hershel was a damn goor RB.

but I'm just curious looking at your most recent former players that you've posted about, are intentionally trying to rile me up with guys I don't like. Or is it just a coincidence?

Must be coincidence.  I have no idea outside of LSU who you like or don't.  But I will say this, I didn't think Herschel was as good a candidate for the US Senate as he was a running back.  He wasn't successful at everything.

Edited by houtiger

22 hours ago, houtiger said:

Must be coincidence.

I figured it was, but then also thought maybe you was on the sly trying to push my buttons. :lmao:

I have no idea outside of LSU who you like or don't.

this list of non-LSU athletes I like is an extremely short one.
the list of non-LSU guys I despise is ridiculously long.

But I will say this, I didn't think Herschel was as good a candidate for the US Senate as he was a running back.  He wasn't successful at everything.

I have absolutely zero clue about anything Hershel did outside of football.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Currently, Max Johnson listed #1 on the North Carolina depth chart at QB.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/north-carolina/91395

He transferred for a chance to play, get off the bench, and it looks like he may get it.  Of course someone else could transfer in.  But right now, it looks like Max.  Good for him if he gets to play.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1