Gameday Tigers

2024 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

LOOK: LSU Hosts Texas A&M Commit, Top DL For Official Visit

Brian Kelly brings in Gabriel Reliford for a visit, takes in the scenes of Death Valley.

Texas A&M Aggies

TEXAS A&M AGGIES

The LSU football staff hosted Texas A&M commit Gabriel Reliford for an official visit this weekend with the Louisiana native making his way to Baton Rouge for a multi-day stay. On3's Shea Dixon first reported the visit. 

Reliford, the No. 5 rated player in the state, has been pledged to the Aggies for quite some time with Brian Kelly looking to flip the coveted defensive lineman.

A four-star prospect in the 2024 class, the Tigers have been in Reliford's ear for months in their pursuit of another gifted lineman. 

For the Bayou Bengals, their 2024 recruiting class is shaping up to be impressive, but with a few key pieces needed before the Early Signing Period approaches, Reliford is at the top of this program's list.

It's no secret the Tigers have pursued Texas A&M commitments after Jimbo Fisher was cut loose and Reliford is one to monitor. 

LSU has already successfully flipped one Texas A&M commitment after five-star offensive lineman Weston Davis revealed his pledge to Brian Kelly and the Tigers just weeks ago, but what happens now that Fisher is officially out in College Station?

From current commitments to potential transfer portal moves, there could be significant shakeup in Texas A&M recruiting with LSU looking to get in on the action.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 6:20 AM, Hatchertiger said:

Reliford has decommitted from A&M

And committed to LSU today!!!

https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2023/12/8/23993025/merry-flipmas-gabe-reliford-commits-to-lsu

Scott Long posted today that he has personal knowledge that Dominick McKinley is still considering LSU and will take an official visit. For what that's worth.  Not sure if Reliford flipping will have any impact on his decision.

• Like 2

You literally cannot throw a rock into the portal and not hit a talented kid at a position that we desperately need. Yet crickets from our staff, newsroom, media, what in the world are they doing?

Oh I know, wait till all the good ones are gone and scrape up what's left. Yeah that's a brilliant strategy 

2 hours ago, Big T said:

You literally cannot throw a rock into the portal and not hit a talented kid at a position that we desperately need. Yet crickets from our staff, newsroom, media, what in the world are they doing?

Oh I know, wait till all the good ones are gone and scrape up what's left. Yeah that's a brilliant strategy 

Umm, maybe they are actually being smart about it and waiting to announce deals once the early signing period is past instead of signing someone from the portal and watching a recruit they've invested years of time with decides to go elsewhere because of a portal signing?

Just a thought.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dachsie said:

You want him to stay after this year?

What I don't want is to make a bad decision in haste. There is a hidden variable that I haven’t quite identified between year 1 house and year 2. I get it, the players Yada Yada and maybe that is it. Maybe we just need better players. I'm willing to see what happens if we get those guys in and I think we will.

This isn't a year where anyone has great expectations. It doesn't seem pragmatic to fire him at this time. Defense looks the same after next season then he has to go. 

Just my .02 which because of the applesauce brain in the WH means I know owe you a nickel 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am good with whatever BK decides.  I have no particular like of House, but it is not clear to me that the problem was the DC.  Remember in Jan. 2022, we had only 1 player in the secondary from O, Sage Ryan.  I showed the roster from the Jan 2022 bowl game in another topic in the fall.  We signed Welch in Dec. 2021, then brought in a ton from the portal and did well, but then a lot of them were out of years after one year.  Greg Brooks, captain, out for the year.  Johnson from Ohio State broke leg, out for the year.  Chestnut and Harris, quitters or screw ups, Andre Sam, winner.  Zy Alexander from Southeastern played his guts out till he was injured and out for the rest of the season.  Then we played freshmen, Stamps and Toviano.  Toviano and Ryan were both recruited as safties, forced to play corner, now we're at a disadvantage. 

Lindsey the DL coach, out for the year for medical.  We had a dline coach that was not supposed to be a DL coach, and it showed.  Brought in 81 year old Pete Jenkins for a consult.  At least our DL portal kids played fairly well.  Maason Smith did not recover from his ACL in 2022.  Wingo went out and missed about 4 games.

There were a LOT OF THINGS wrong on the defensive side this season, and I am not sure that Matt House was one of them.  Use of Perkins at LB?  Somebody has to play the middle of the field.  Suppose Perkins was the best guy to do that?  A sack is a flashy play, but if you don't make the sack, you have a dud in the middle of the field, and the QB completes a 15 yard pass that goes for 20 more yards after catch because the LB is too slow, that is not good at all.  This was Perkins first year as an inside LB, can anyone honestly say he would have been more valuable as a rush LB on the outside?  He didn't get as many sacks, but that is not the only way to measure his value to the defense.  Well, could Perkins have SPY'ed Jalen Milroe?  Hmmmm, I don't know.

Suppose you're a DC and after they fire House, you look at what happened and think, how is BK going to treat me?  Does he understand what happened?  Do I want to coach under him after I saw what happened and how he evaluated Matt House?  House didn't have the players, so they fired House.  Wrong conclusion.

I see what you are saying but some of his schemes seemed wrong.  I don't know if it was his play calling or the players didn't understand it.   He rarely called blitzes for example.  Surely a player would know how to do that if it were called - they live to do that kind of stuff.    I dont know much about this stuff so will let others chime in on it.  I know the majority of the fan base wants him gone - of course they want everyone gone most of the time.  LOL.

• Like 1