Gameday Tigers

2025 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

Shortly after receiving an offer from the LSU Tigers, Destrehan High School 2025 four star safety Jhase Thomas has committed to the Bayou Bengals.

The second-generation defensive back announced his decision today on his birthday as he picked the Tigers over the likes of Texas Tech, Houston, Ole Miss, and Colorado. The 6’3, 180 pound safety is the son of longtime NFL veteran Fred Thomas, who was a 12 year defensive back for the Seattle Seahawks and the New Orleans Saints.

“When it comes to who is the smartest on the field, me and my dad are equal. We have an equal high football I.Q. He was a little faster while I was the more muscular guy. He may tell you a little different, but I get everything from him. We are built differently, but we are the same person.”

Destrehan High School 2025 4 Star S Jhase Thomas. 

• Like 2

Destrehan’s Jhase Thomas announces commitment to LSU

by: Richie Mills

DESTREHAN, La. — Destrehan rising star, Jhase Thomas, officially announced his commitment to Brian Kelly and the LSU football program.

Kelly offered Thomas a football scholarship, in person last month.

“Coach BK, the first thing he told me was that he would love for me to be a Tiger. The first thing I told him is that I’m going to be a Tiger. So that day I knew for a fact I was going to be a Tiger,” said Destrehan defensive back Jhase Thomas.

The announcement was made Saturday on his 17th birthday in front of friends and family at the Sports Pub & Grill in Destrehan.

Thomas chose LSU over schools like Ole Miss, Colorado, Houston, and Texas Tech.

Jhase Thomas is regarded as one of the top defensive backs in the state of Louisiana and he’s only played the safety position for one full year.

The transition to the secondary was natural for the son of former New Orleans Saints defensive back, Fred Thomas.

“He was the first ever coach to teach me how to play DB going into my junior year. Countless amount of days I was on the field trying to learn how to do different techniques and stuff and he was always there to teach me how to do it,” said Thomas.

The 6’3, 180-pounder pieced together an impressive junior campaign with the Wildcats and offers from some of the top college football programs in the country followed a solid spring camp.

Thomas is currently a 4-star prospect and one of eight returning starters on the Destrehan defense in the fall of 2024.

When asked about the leadership role Thomas will assume in the upcoming season, head coach Marcus Scott said, “Jhase is going to be our Kolaj [Cobbins] this year. I mean, he’s going to be the guy who has that experience and, you know, we’re looking for him to come out and really just do his job on and off the field, continue to be a leader.”

Kolaj Cobbins signed with LSU as well.

• Like 1

BOOM!

LSU lands top athlete D.J. Pickett to pair with No. 1 QB, RB

• lederman_eli.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Eli Lederman, ESPN Staff WriterJul 17, 2024, 07:37 PM ET

LSU landed its fifth and most high-profile commitment of the month Wednesday evening, beating out Miami and Oregon for the pledge of five-star athlete D.J. Pickett, No. 14 in the ESPN 300 rankings.

Pickett, a two-way star from Zephyrhills, Florida, announced his commitment during a ceremony at Zephyrhills High School. The 6-foot-3, 170-pound prospect is the top-ranked athlete in the 2025 class and the No. 2 recruit from the state of Florida in this cycle.

Between Pickett, No. 1 quarterback Bryce Underwood and No. 1 running back Harlem Berry, Brian Kelly and the Tigers now hold pledges from the top prospect in three different position groups in the current cycle.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40585003/five-star-athlete-dj-pickett-commits-lsu-tigers-football

• Like 1

More on DJ Pickett:

Lanky two-way playmaker that allows the mind to get pretty creative when it comes identifying potential roles, but warrants a look as a field corner given one-of-a-kind frame and quick-twitched lower half. Measured right around 6-foot-4, 180 pounds the summer before senior season, making him one of the tallest defensive backs to come out of the high school ranks in recent cycles. More notably, came in with a near 6-foot-8 wingspan. Has dominated rural Florida-based competition the past few years, making an impact as both a wide receiver and a deep safety. Has what it takes to emerge as a true game-breaker on offense with his size and foot speed, but ability to generate turnovers with his advanced ball skills while also mirroring in reverse makes him an intriguing option in both man and off-coverage. Junior highlight reel features a few punishing hits in run support, but a thorough dive of the game tape suggests he must get better at embracing contact, especially if he’s going to be asked to police the alleys out of a one-high or two-high posting. Overall, should be viewed as one of the more unique prospects in the 2025 cycle as he checks off box after box with his tools, but isn’t exactly the cleanest projection at this stage. Likely to face an initial adjustment period when he gets to the next level, but has Power Four all-conference upside and is a black swan type of athlete that will draw the attention of NFL scouts.

• Like 1

H.S. Athletic Background

Multi-sport athlete (track, baseball and basketball).

State qualifier in the 100-meter dash as a 11th grader. District champion in both the 100-meter and 200-meter both sophomore and junior years. Has also won direct titles in the 400 and the long jump.

Top T&F markers include: 10.62 in the 100, 21.66 in the 200, 50.35 in the 400 and 22-7 in the LJ 

----

2023: Star player for Zephryhills, which made regional semifinals of Florida’s 3S playoffs. Got snaps at WR and DB. Caught 52 passes for 1,033 yards and 15 TD on offense while totaling 31 tackles and an INT on defense.
2022: Two-way player. Totaled 39 tackles, 4 INT and 3 PBU on defense per MaxPreps. Also caught 43 passes from 886 yards and 12 TD on offense.

• Like 1

Just a couple of days after the LSU Tigers got a commitment from a five star in DJ Pickett, the Tigers got themselves another top caliber prospect for the 2025 class in Bishop Gorman five star receiver Derek Meadows.

The Las Vegas, Nevada product chose the Tigers over Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, and Notre Dame. According to 247, Meadows is the number one player in the state of Nevada, the number six wide receiver in the country, and the number 32 overall player in the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Pisses me off when hometown kids do this

Agreed, but many times they prove to not have their heads on straight.

I wish him the best of luck, but he'll regret this one day.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Herb said:

Agreed, but many times they prove to not have their heads on straight.

I wish him the best of luck, but he'll regret this one day.

Most time the coaches know. Sometimes you are glad that they head elsewhere. See it too many times. Wish them the best and move on. Not really talking about this kid, but the overall view of recruiting.

• Like 2

In the 2024 signing class, Texas put 322 kids in FBS scholarships, most in the nation.  Dallas metro led with 122 followed by Houston metro with 94, followed by Austin area with 24.  Just interesting.

• Like 1

LSU added to its 2025 recruiting class on Wednesday by flipping a three-star linebacker from SEC foe South Carolina.

Jaiden Braker, a native of Snellville, Georgia, took an unofficial visit to LSU over the weekend for Bayou Splash and saw several projections to flip to the Tigers in the days that followed. On Wednesday, he made his commitment to LSU official.

Braker ranks as the No. 684 player nationally and is the No. 74 linebacker. He committed to South Carolina earlier this month on July 6, but he picked up an LSU offer during his visit, which seems to have changed things for him.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:15 PM, LSUDad said:

LSU receives commitment from 2025 4-star RB

LSUWire_CMTD_FB.png?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
April 13, 2024 5:31 pm CT

On the day of the spring game, Brian Kellyand his staff received some great news for the 2025 recruiting class. They landed another commitment. This time it is from a four-star running back from Alexandria, Louisiana.

LSU recently offered JT Lindsey and as soon as he was offered he received crystal ball projections to commit to LSU and the Tigers became the heavy favorites to land him.

Lindsey is a 5-foot-11, 185-pound, four-star running back from Alexandria Louisiana where he plays for Alexandria High School. He is ranked as high as the No. 11 running back in the 2025 recruiting class by On3.

The Tigers 2025 class currently ranks as the No. 3 class in the country by 247Sports and is headlined by two five-star recruits, Bryce Underwood and Dakorien Moore. Lindsey becomes the second running back commitment of the class as he joins Harlem Berry in what could be a very explosive backfield for the Tigers in the future. 

Enjoy the video! Hit the like button! 

Posted (edited)

BOOM!!!

LSU Football Lands Commitment from Coveted Safety CJ Jimcoily

The LSU Tigers add another prized safety to the 2025 class, Jimcoily goes public with a decision.

Brian Kelly and the LSU football staff have landed a commitment from Nashville (Tenn.) Lipscomb Academy safety CJ Jimcoily, he announced on Thursday afternoon.

The four-star prospect in the 2025 cycle chose the Tigers over Stanford, Tennessee and Alabama after trimming his list to four finalists weeks ago.

Now, the Bayou Bengals reel in the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder who immediately becomes a key piece to the future of the defensive backfield. 

Jimcoily, who's the second safety in the 2025 class alongside Destrehan (La.) star Jhase Thomas, can be used in a myriad of ways for defensive coordinator Blake Baker.

He attains tremendous size and can be used in the new STAR role as a hybrid safety/linebacker; with the program salivating at the immense potential he attains.

Jimcoily had the Stanford Cardinal near the top of his list with this one ultimately coming down to relationships with the LSU staff, namely safeties coach Jake Olsen.

A player who is a workhorse in the classroom, Jimcoily boasts a GPA above 4.0 status where Stanford surged in his recruitment on that side, but LSU provided a plan that gave him a chance to thrive both on and off the field. 

Jimcoily took his fair share of visits this summer with LSU, Tennessee, Alabama and Stanford making waves.

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

I guess Brian Kelly can recruit.  To add, it looks like the assistant coaches he has brought in recruit better than the staff that left.  I'm impressed with what they are doing with the 2025 class.  We have to keep them committed.  Jimcoily has a 4.0 GPA, considered Stanford, that's impressive.  He probably has good character.  This class, looks like Kelly is getting talent and good character kids, that's my impression from what I hear of them.  Hopefully that means few lockeroom problems.

• Like 1

BREAKING: 4-star DB CJ Jimcoily commits to LSU

by:Shea Dixonabout 7 hours

LSU has landed a commitment from 4-star defensive back CJ Jimcoily, giving the Tigers a second safety addition for the 2025 class.

Jimcoily announced his decision on Thursday, August 8, choosing LSU over a final four that also included Alabama, Stanford and Tennessee. 

The Nashville (Tenn.) prospect is the second safety committed to LSU safeties coach Jake Olsen and the Tigers for the 2025 class, joining fellow 4-star Jhase Thomas, a rising senior at Destrehan High 

Jimcoily is LSU’s 20th commitment for the 2025 recruiting cycle, and the Tigers are still holding firm on the No. 3 class on the On3 Industry Team Football Recruiting Rankings. 

For Jimcoily, the combination of family roots in the Bayou State and LSU’s recruiting pitch was more than enough for the Tigers to ultimately win out and land his verbal pledge.

“I have a lot of family in Louisiana given my father is from New Orleans, so we were big LSU fans growing up,” Jimcoily told The Bengal Tiger staff. “I remember him going crazy watching games on TV, and I didn’t even get it then. Now that I have the opportunity to play at LSU and in Louisiana, it’s insane. The big thing is the family vibe, and with my family in New Orleans, it’s just a great feeling.

“When we talked with Coach Frank, that was a highlight for us for a lot of reasons. My dad went to O.P. Walker when (Wilson) was there as a coach. My grandmother still lives in New Orleans, so we still have a lot of uncles and cousins there. The LSU visit, it was like being around home. And when we met with Coach Frank, that was one of my longest talks

• Like 1

Destrehan WR Phillip Wright III has committed to LSU. (Photo taken by @zachphotography)

A senior wide receiver from the greater New Orleans area committed to LSU Friday only five days after backing off his prior pledge to Michigan. 

Phillip Wright, a speedy 5-foot-11 wideout from Destrehan High, announced that he's now planning to stay in his home state and sign with the Tigers. According to 247Sports composite rankings, he's a three-star prospect ranked as one of the country's 70 best receivers and one of Louisiana's 12 best recruits. 

Wright is now the third receiver committed to LSU's 2025 recruiting class, which ranks as one of the three best hauls in the nation. Derek Meadows, a four-star from Nevada, committed to LSU in July. TaRon Francis, a four-star from New Orleans, has been pledged to the Tigers since October. 

Including Wright, who's also received a scholarship offer from LSU track and field, the Tigers now have commitments from seven of the 12 best players in Louisiana, according to 247Sports. 

Coach Brian Kelly's staff added a cornerback to its class on Thursday, when a Tennessee corner named CJ Jimcoily revealed his intentions to sign with LSU. 

• Like 1